How accurate is the temp probe?

anathema

How accurate is the temp probe?

Post by anathema »

Hi, new member here and I have a question. I've always used one of those big dual temp thermometers to see my tank temp, and it's usually in agreement with the other thermometers I see. The RA temp probe that came with my unit is a full degree lower than my current thermometer.

Is there a calibration setting for the temp probe I'm missing? Which one is likely more accurate?

Also, is it an lm34 or 1wire or something else. Has anyone bothered to rewire them with custom cable lengths?
alexwbush

Re: How accurate is the temp probe?

Post by alexwbush »

I didn't do anything special with mine, but I think my temp is pretty accurate. To think of it, I haven't really checked. I keep my tank between 77.8-78.2 and everything seems pretty happy. I might check it vs another thermometer this weekend. I also use one of the wire extenders Roberto sells on this site with no problems.
anathema

Post by anathema »

Thanks, I may need a longer wire than that extension provides, if I run it to my 'fuge.
rimai

Post by rimai »

There is another member that went and bought a high precision thermometer to compare and he found that it was within 0.2 difference.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/tropic ... hermometer
Roberto.