Standard Reef Angel end of life notice

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
rimai

Standard Reef Angel end of life notice

Post by rimai »

Starting 02/01/14, the standard Reef Angel will no longer be sold.
The libraries have increased to a size where the standard Reef Angel cannot support anymore.
There is still replacement boards available for those that already own one and need replacement boards.
Roberto.
binder

Re: Standard Reef Angel end of life notice

Post by binder »

I was wondering when this day would come. It took a while to get here (almost 4 years I think).

Sent from my iPad mini
KRavEN

Post by KRavEN »

Sad but sweet. Out with the old in with the new. The king is dead, long live the king. :lol:

Congratulations Roberto on your prior success with the RA. This is a great move forward and will allow you to concentrate on adding new features and squashing bugs rather than trying to ensure backward compatibility with obsolete hardware.
neuro

Post by neuro »

thanks for doing this robert. this definitely makes things simpler for folks in the future.
abhi_123

Post by abhi_123 »

what does this means? We cant use the older version anymore?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

It most likely means that the current version will be the latest to ensure backward compatibility. There is nothing wrong with the current version of the libraries that those who may have recently bought one still have a lot of functionality.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Roberto,

You may want to consider changing how the auto-update works, maybe no longer have any more after 1.1.0 and have a new installer that will go from >1.10 and up so that those with standard don't have to find out that the new code won't work and have to downgrade constantly, etc. Not sure if you have another method or not?
rimai

Post by rimai »

It means Reef Angel won't be selling standard controllers anymore. Only the Plus version is available now.
No changes to the libraries at this time. You can still use them the same way you have been doing.
If you are really concerned about code size increase you have the option to turn off the auto-update on menu File->Preferences. This way your libraries will not update when a next release comes.
Roberto.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Since many folks have probably upgraded to the RA+, it is worth mentioning that with a little customization work, the old RA board can be used as a module for an extra monitor (which is how I am using it now) and you should be able to use it as an extension for another pH probe, extra temp sensors, or ATO ports. :)

-Jon
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Great ideas Jon! I've definitely considered posting a WTB thread to pick up someones unused standard :)
chapboogie

Post by chapboogie »

I'm interested in hearing more

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

You can see how I was using my old RA as an extra monitor here....

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=682
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=923

It's a bit dated now and I am actually working on updating the code with the new libraries. It may be easier to use the old RA as an expansion module with the connections on the head unit (ph, temp, ato) once you have made a cable, because you really don't need the LCD piece.

-Jon