Algae scrubbers

jsclownfish

Algae scrubbers

Post by jsclownfish »

Hi all,

I recently got an algae scrubber and have been thinking about to running it counter cycle (or about 8 hours) to the daylight cycle on the display tank. From what I've read, besides the nutrient export, I should expect it to balance out the pH swing in the evening a bit and that may change depending on the lighting cycle and density of algae. My pH is pretty steady only cycling by about 0.2 pH units so I don't want it to actually swing more as a result of the scrubber. Has anyone used the RA to control aspects of the scrubber light cycle or maybe even flow rate? Do you see changes any other changes, like ORP?

Thanks,
-Jon
rimai

Re: Algae scrubbers

Post by rimai »

I don't have one, but I can say that the pH will be a little bit more stable.
I think .2pH is normal swing though. You can see an even bigger swing with nano tanks.
The reason pH drops at night is because there is only CO2 being produced by the corals and fish. Inject CO2 in water and pH will drop. That's the concept of a calcium reactor.
If you use any plant like lifeform and shine it with light during the night, it will be converting some of that CO2 into O2 through photosynthesis and thus, making the CO2 in the water less dense, which in turn makes the pH drop less.
Roberto.
jsclownfish

Re: Algae scrubbers

Post by jsclownfish »

Yep, that's how I understand the principle of the scrubber and pH, I was thinking that some measure of pH or ORP may determine the light cycle timing or length in controlling the scrubber potential.

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk