iOS Reef Angel Status

Community contributed apps
romebaby

Re: iOS Reef Angel Status

Post by romebaby »

Any update? Are you getting any help from RA on this Binder?
binder

Post by binder »

romebaby wrote:Any update? Are you getting any help from RA on this Binder?
no update yet. I've had some help with the graphics and images. I just haven't had the time that I need to get into things. I'm working on it though the best that I can.

Sent from my Nexus 7
romebaby

Post by romebaby »

We appreciate your hard work binder, and the following comment is not towards you at all. It just seems to me that an advertised feature should be supported by the mfg, not some poor guy doing this in his free time. We've been waiting 3-4 months now for this, and I thought I bought an iphone controllable controller. It was advertised as such when I bought it. Love the RA but I'm wishing I would have bought the apex now.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

RA = Roberto and the community. Curt hasnt released the source yet and I dont have an ios7 xcode environment at this time to contribute anyway. The other half the problem too is apples development restrictions. Its not so easy to share the dev in an open source way that everyone can contribute.

I understand the frustration, but while the hardware aspect is a business, the platform is open source and sometimes these things are issues. You can blame apple as well for ios7 incompatibility...i cant use my car bluetooth anymore...thats really frustrating...

There are many ways to control your RA from your iphone, just because the ios7 app does not have all the features yet does not mean you did not get what you purchased. You can go to your wan ip address or internal ip address :2000/wifi to access the controller directly. You can type the commands manually into any web browser (first sticky in the dev libraries forum has all the available commands) or you can use safari and access the portal. I know none of these are as good as a native app but hopefully helps to understand the situation a little better.
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

I never thought I'd see the day where Apple was considered the big evil machine over Microsoft... But hey keep on buying those iOS products.... hahaha
binder

Post by binder »

romebaby wrote:We appreciate your hard work binder, and the following comment is not towards you at all. It just seems to me that an advertised feature should be supported by the mfg, not some poor guy doing this in his free time. We've been waiting 3-4 months now for this, and I thought I bought an iphone controllable controller. It was advertised as such when I bought it. Love the RA but I'm wishing I would have bought the apex now.
what specific functionalities are you needing?
is it purely the relay control and modes or was there others that you need? I ask just so I know. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7
mls228

iOS Reef Angel Status

Post by mls228 »

Romebaby wrote:We appreciate your hard work binder, and the following comment is not towards you at all. It just seems to me that an advertised feature should be supported by the mfg, not some poor guy doing this in his free time. We've been waiting 3-4 months now for this, and I thought I bought an iphone controllable controller. It was advertised as such when I bought it. Love the RA but I'm wishing I would have bought the apex now.
Romebaby note that you can always use the simple internal web server at http://webaddress:2000/wifi

That will give you basic monitoring and control.

Binder, thanks for all of your contributions.
ecam

Post by ecam »

Thanks binder.
romebaby

Post by romebaby »

The relay control. Turning sump light on/off for when I'm working down there, feed mode, & water change are what I miss. My controller head isn't easy to get at and my computer isn't right by the tank.
binder

Post by binder »

romebaby wrote:The relay control. Turning sump light on/off for when I'm working down there, feed mode, & water change are what I miss. My controller head isn't easy to get at and my computer isn't right by the tank.
Ok cool. I'll see what I can get done this week and "hopefully" get it sent to apple for their approval.
romebaby

Post by romebaby »

Thanks binder!
binder

Post by binder »

Just to keep people informed. I fixed up and added some improvements to the app:
  • Displays the main relay
  • Toggles the relay status for each port
  • Added Feeding Mode, Water Change Mode and Exit Mode buttons at the bottom
  • Fixed up the display issue/artifacts with the icon
  • Changed the black/carbon background to white
I have not released it to the app store yet because I do not have my iPad with me (side note: in order to release an app to the app store, it must be compiled/built on an actual device and not just on the computer). When I get home tonight, I will try to get it submitted to the store for updating.

Also, please bear in mind, the app will be changing its appearance over time. This one long screen layout is only temporary in order to get the app out and released. The app will eventually allow for tab switching and swiping screens much like with the Android app. That functionality is being worked on but like I've said before, requires learning and some time. Anyways, hopefully this will get things functioning better for you guys.

Here are 2 screenshots of the app. They are taken on a 3.5" device (so the larger devices will display more on the screen at once). This one just displays the status.
3.5" iPhone with status
3.5" iPhone with status
Retina 3.5 4.png (51.17 KiB) Viewed 7180 times
This one shows the relay status. When the relays are in the overridden state, the light blue triangle with the exclamation point is displayed indicating that the port is overridden. To remove the override status, just tap on that blue triangle and it will reset the port.
3.5" iPhone with relays and overridden
3.5" iPhone with relays and overridden
Retina 3.5 6.png (80.28 KiB) Viewed 7180 times
I will update the original post with the status once I get it submitted to the app store for update.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Cool :)
Roberto.
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

Awesome thanks for all the hard work. Can't wait to try it out.
binder

Post by binder »

source code uploaded to my github account. project name is iosStatus.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

binder wrote:source code uploaded to my github account. project name is iosStatus.
Awesome x1000000
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:
binder wrote:source code uploaded to my github account. project name is iosStatus.
Awesome x1000000
it will be changing as well... I'm thinking of shifting from using storyboards to programmatically creating the interface to get it to do what I want.

Sent from my Moto X
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Programmatically creating the interface would be much better for long term maintenance and enhancements.
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:Programmatically creating the interface would be much better for long term maintenance and enhancements.
yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. I have already started working on it and learning how to do it.

Sent from my Moto X
binder

Post by binder »

Newest version just release! It's live. Update your apps folks and now be able to control your main relay plus the couple modes.
mudcat1

Post by mudcat1 »

Nice update. Thanks Curt.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Looks good!!!
romebaby

Post by romebaby »

Thank you binder!
binder

Post by binder »

romebaby wrote:Thank you binder!
welcome. hopefully the app will be more useful to you now. :)
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

Looks good. Is there a way to rename the ports?
binder

Post by binder »

jjdezek wrote:Looks good. Is there a way to rename the ports?
not yet

Sent from my Moto X
Robert1969

Post by Robert1969 »

Thank you binder. Looks great!
ozworld

Post by ozworld »

Excellent, I now can upgrade my iOS.
Thanks Binder!
binder

Post by binder »

ozworld wrote:Excellent, I now can upgrade my iOS.
Thanks Binder!
welcome to all for the kind regards. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7
Brien H

Post by Brien H »

Thank you!!