Wif attachment

Expansion modules and attachments
dvdcox

Wif attachment

Post by dvdcox »

I just received my RA+ today and now I am trying to connect it to my FIOS modem via the WIFI attachment. I am getting a slow blinking green light but the modem will not assign an IP address to the reef angel. I can see it in port forwarding but not in the list of devices. I get an IP address of 0.0.0.0:2000 and that address is invalid. what do I need to do to get the modem to recognize the attachment? I have read through all the forums topics related to this but still cannot find a solution to my problem. I think it needs to be assigned a static IP address but I don't know how to do that. any help is appreciated
Dave
dvdcox

Re: Wif attachment

Post by dvdcox »

I am also getting a "DHCP false" when I try to install the attachment
Dave
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

I now have an IP address assigned to the Reef Angel but still get the DHCP Fail and the slow blinking green light
Dave
rimai

Post by rimai »

Ok, make sure the router is accepting b & g networks too. The module is not n compatible.
Roberto.
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

I have no idea what that means
Dave
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

mixed mode accepts Both b&g networks Sorry but my level of frustration is soaring
Dave
rimai

Post by rimai »

Also make sure that the ssid and passphrase are typed exactly the same.
They are case sensitive.
Do you have any spaces or special characters? Try using without them and see if it helps.
WPA2-PSK with AES encryption is the security that has less problems. If you are using any other mode, try changing it to WPA2.
Roberto.
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

I have an IP address and port forwarding enabled but still will not transmit or receive Tried to ping wifi but no response. at a loss as to what to do to correct this problem. the wifi setup seemed to worked after I changed the setting to wpa-2 but still wont communicate with computer
Dave
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

I just got it to ping back what address do I need to enter into the control panel to view the RA from the portal maybe that is the problem what I have entered is 192.168.1.6:2000 is that correct. I can access the Reef Angel Controller web server but it is telling me I have an unreachable address in the portal. any suggestion on what to do to fix this, I am sure it is something simple but.........
Dave
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

the connection status is where I get the unreachable address in the portal
Dave
rimai

Post by rimai »

As long as your controller has the correct code and you setup port forwarding correctly, you don't need to change the ip address in the portal.
Roberto.
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

no address ever appeared in the portal I added the IP address manually through the control panel. until I did that I had absolutely nothing. it will access the web server page occasionally but that doesn't last very long. I have no idea how to remedy this problem. what do you suggest I do. the set utility says it setup properly as is the port forwarding but this thing still is not communicating with portal. I have only 0's for all values. When I try to connect it via the phone app it will send legit data occasionally then drop out of the network. What to do.
Dave
rimai

Post by rimai »

If your controller doesn't send data to the portal, the ip address will never be updated.
Make sure you have this in your code:

Code: Select all

ReefAngel.Portal("dvdcox");
Roberto.
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

it is there, I apologize I thought I could do this without much problem. it may be a network problem on my end though. We are having trouble with our printers in the wifi settings as well, l just discovered that issue will try and resolve that issue tomorrow.
Dave
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

The app on my phone seems to working fine but the portal still says unreachable address any more suggestion. the wifi attachment is working but not talking to the portal.
Dave
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Did you set a portal key in the portal or in your code? Both need to be in sync.

Also what IP are you using with your phone (wan or internal). If you disconnect your phone from the wifi does it still work (if not then definitely port forwarding issues)
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

I do have a portal key and have it in the code like instructed. I am seeing the same IP address on my router 192.168.1.6:2000 and I also see 192.168.1.6:50000 I think this is causing a conflict but not sure how to remedy it I have spoken to Verizon tech support but still cannot get resolution. I did turn off the wifi on my phone and got an error message so it is a problem with the port forwarding. I guess I can try the tech people again.
Dave
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

What happens when your phone is on wifi and you connect to http://192.168.1.6:2000/wifi
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

I get the data from the reef angel on my phone from the portal
Dave
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

don't know what happened but everything is working perfect now thanks for all the help.
Dave
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

has worked on and off all day, is there a way to reset the wifi attachment maybe that will help? I am convinced it is not the port forwarding because none of the settings have changed and the attachment has stopped and started transmitting randomly all day.
Dave
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

Ok, so here is where I am I have replaced the wifi unit (thank you Roberto), I have replaced the router, I did the mod for the external antenna and have installed a wifi extender to boost the signal. I have given this thing 2 weeks and it still is dropping the wifi signal from my FIOS router. when I am getting a signal it works perfectly but at least 5 times a day I have to unplug the cable from the wifi attachment and plug it back in to kick start the wifi again. I think this a compatibility issue with the FIOS MI424WR router. I have read where people have installed another router in front of the FIOS router, not sure if that will work or not and probably don't have the knowledge base to accomplish that task either. I certainly don't want to keep tinkering with this wifi attachment to keep it running, it just a matter of time before one of the pins on the wifi break off and I have a $120 paper weight. Not to mention the inconvenience of resetting it every time I come home. I do believe that the router is set up properly, I have the wifi on a static IP address and manually set up the port forwarding to /2000. I have uninstalled the client, I have turned off the widget on my desk top to see if that is the problem, nothing seems to be working. Anyone have any suggestions on what to next. I have even signed up for the premium support from FIOS to help fix the problem and they cannot resolve it either. I am completely at a loss at this point on what to do to fix the problem.
Dave
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Just making sure...did you enable the external antenna in the wifi module?

Do you have any baby monitors, nanny cam, security cameras around? I had a lot of issues when we got a video baby monitor. The router attached to the fios one isnt hard to do. The only tricky part about it is you need two port forwardings.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

I am one of those that put a router in front of my fios router. The fios router is just not reliable in holding a wifi connection for a lot of other things. I would recommend doing that before you invest in other options or mess with internals. That said, my wifi has dropped a handful of times in the few months that I've had it but I do have 2 baby monitors that float around the house as well as numerous other devices that connect to my wifi signal. I call that par for the course.
Jack
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

Thank you for the responses, to answer your questions I do have the external antenna set to [1]in the code BUT!!! I only have one port forwarding set up. Don't know how I would set up another wouldn't that show as a conflict? I do have the norm of cell phones computers printers etc.. that are connected to the wifi but in this day and age the equipment being supplied should be able to handle all of those devices, you would think. Can I get some more information/instruction on how to set up the second port forwarding. By the way (fingers crossed since I have removed both the client and the widget together I have not had it break the connection, that's been about 26hrs now. I have also taken the router off auto and assigned it to channel 11 not sure if that helped. I am in a wait and see mode at this point a little disappointed that the client/widget could have been the problem liked having them.
I can handle resetting the wifi a few times a month due to bandwidth traffic but not 5 or more times a day. This was happening when no one was home and no devices were being used so I don't think that was the problem. I would like to try the second port forwarding and put the client back on line to see which was the problem. just out of curiosity, would this be a problem if I installed a camera on the tank? I am assuming that because the image is being transmitted by the wifi attachment that there wouldn't be a connection problem, is that a correct assumption?
Dave
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

You have to port forward both routers to make it work. How to do that will depend on what kind of router you have, there are usually instructions in print or online.
Jack
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The second port forwarding is only if you connect a second router to the fios one

Internet -> fios -> second router -> rawifi
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

oh ok, I get it duh!, still have not lost the connection yet, thanks for the help. I don't want to do the second router thing unless I have to, I guess I can live without the client if that was the problem.
Dave