iOS Help

Community contributed apps
binder

iOS Help

Post by binder »

I'm posting this because I am finding out that I need help coding/working on the iOS app. I've had some help with another forum member on working out the graphics and doing layout designs, etc. There is some direction we want the app to go and how we want it to look and function. It's just not enough.

Since iOS is all very new to me, I'm having trouble finding the time needed to devote myself to learning it. This is turning into me taking a long time to get things accomplished. I don't like it but it's the reality of it.

So, what I am asking is for some coding help. If anybody who knows how to code for iOS would be willing to help out and get my iOS 7 app "completed" (and by completed, I mean fully functional handling all the addons, etc), it would be appreciated. I can handle releasing it on the App Store and maintaining the annual fee to publish apps on the App Store.

AND, as an ADDED BONUS, if you are willing and capable of getting it "completed", I can offer you a Reef Angel Controller for FREE. Yes, that's right. I'm making the offer of finishing the iOS app and you get a Controller.

I'm making this offer because an updated and improved iOS app is needed and I simply need help doing it. If anybody reading this has a friend who is knowledgeable with iOS development and has been wanting to get a Reef Angel but didn't want to spend the money, then now's the time.

If interested, either post a reply here or PM me or email me.
lnevo

Re: iOS Help

Post by lnevo »

I'm going to post this on manhattan reefs and wamas too and see if I can't find some talent who would be interested :) i think if we had enough iOS experience here it would have been done already. I wish I could help out but my mac is too old to run the latest xcode and I'm in the same boat as you with regards to ios knowledge...wish i could get my brother to help more but he shuts down whenever i start talking about my "fish tank"
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:I'm going to post this on manhattan reefs and wamas too and see if I can't find some talent who would be interested :) i think if we had enough iOS experience here it would have been done already. I wish I could help out but my mac is too old to run the latest xcode and I'm in the same boat as you with regards to ios knowledge...wish i could get my brother to help more but he shuts down whenever i start talking about my "fish tank"
Yeah, great. Roberto & I had this discussion about a month or so ago. He said the same thing you did about "if we had enough iOS experience here it would have been done already". I still told him I was going to post this and see if we got any responses.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I'm curious to see if we get any takers from the cross posts. Wamas has some very smart people over there and there *should* be plenty of IOS people in NYC, just don't know how many are reefers :( i hope you don't get inundated with volunteers, although maybe that would be a good thing :)
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:I'm curious to see if we get any takers from the cross posts. Wamas has some very smart people over there and there *should* be plenty of IOS people in NYC, just don't know how many are reefers :( i hope you don't get inundated with volunteers, although maybe that would be a good thing :)
This is true. It would be a good thing, however my offer is only for completing it. I just can't give out 5 controllers for people to contribute. It's a "finish it and here's your prize". :)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Wish I knew iOS. There's someone at WAMAS who I hope Lee puts the finger on to do it, but he's currently working on designing his own controller using Node.js, I think, for his big tank build which is looking awesome at the moment. He's a go-er.
motti_horesh

Post by motti_horesh »

Found Inevo's post on WAMAS not too long ago, sounds like something I would be interested in working on. don't have tons of time available but could dedicate several hours a week.
rimai

Post by rimai »

That's awesome!!!
Do you already have a Reef Angel Controller?
Roberto.
motti_horesh

Post by motti_horesh »

nope, been working on my own controller for the past several months, based on arduino mega & nodejs on a local server.
motti_horesh

Post by motti_horesh »

I don't think I am able to sent PMs... can't find the reply button in there. My day job is a web developer, been doing that for a while now. I've created one iOS app couple years ago (...can't post link too :) ), but mess around with xcode on my free time here and there.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You need 5 posts or wait till Roberto adjusts your account. Glad you decided to come help! Welcome!!!
rimai

Post by rimai »

I removed the restriction :)
Did you download Curt's code yet?
What do you think it is easier?
To start from scratch or continue from what Curt has done already?
I've got the UI design. It looks so sweet :)
Roberto.
motti_horesh

Post by motti_horesh »

Looked at it briefly last night (whatever was on his github page). You could go in several directions with this development. Could you share the new UI with me?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Here they are.
I have the PSD files with all layers for you. Would that work?

I hope everyone likes them :)
coverpage.png
coverpage.png (86.47 KiB) Viewed 15277 times
page1_status.png
page1_status.png (91.74 KiB) Viewed 15277 times
page2.png
page2.png (98.86 KiB) Viewed 15277 times
page3.png
page3.png (94.99 KiB) Viewed 15277 times
page4.png
page4.png (94.33 KiB) Viewed 15277 times
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I like :)
motti_horesh

Post by motti_horesh »

Looks really sweet :P :P :P :P

By the way, have you guys considered developing using phonegap/apache cardova? there are pretty sweet frameworks out there that can help with really quick development.

Phonegap has improved significally over the past year and become much much faster, (almost as fast as a native app), also if we go that route we could utilize many of the cool js graphing libraries that are out there.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Awesome :)
Whichever framework is fine. I don't think the end user cares. It's the choice of the developer :)
And since you already work with nodejs, it would definitely make things easier, right?
And it seems to me that you could compile it for both iphone and android. Am I correct?
We only have one requirement.... Your source code must be ope source, ok?
Preferably hosted on github, but if you are already used to google or any other code management provider, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
So, are you up to giving it a shot?
Roberto.
motti_horesh

Post by motti_horesh »

rimai wrote:Awesome :)
Whichever framework is fine. I don't think the end user cares. It's the choice of the developer :)
And since you already work with nodejs, it would definitely make things easier, right?
And it seems to me that you could compile it for both iphone and android. Am I correct?
We only have one requirement.... Your source code must be ope source, ok?
Preferably hosted on github, but if you are already used to google or any other code management provider, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
So, are you up to giving it a shot?

Sounds good, I could start working on it probably tomorrow night, need to drive to pick up 4 jebao pumps tonight. would you be able to share the PSD with me?

The benefit of working with phonegap is that you develop the app once, and then you can compile it to run on iOS, Android, webOS, Window phone, blackberry and few other devices.

Regarding VC, i personally prefer gitHub, could start a repo, or could use something you have setup already

one last thing, ( i keep on editing this post ), would you be able to send me few sample of the communication protocol, i assume the controller provide xml/json data to the app right?
Christo

Post by Christo »

Any Progress on this Project! Really looking forward to the new App.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

+1 was thinking about this the other day :)
binder

Post by binder »

yeah, same here. im getting close to my renewal to my ios subscription. plus im wanting some improvements to the app for ios people...they suffer enough with ios. ;-)

Sent from my iPad mini
motti_horesh

Post by motti_horesh »

Sorry guys, I've been super busy in the past few weeks with work and some relatives who came to stay with us for two weeks :roll:

I am planning to wrap up the UI by sunday, at least the stuff i got from design. will post a preview link later on sunday.
wolffman64

Post by wolffman64 »

Following this with excitement!
Seedlessone

Post by Seedlessone »

Any updates? Thanks
Poiromaniax

Post by Poiromaniax »

Just to add. The current version of the app does not work with dyndns.

I have been trying for ages, just pops up an error "error parsing XML data"

Also. What is the functionality of the portal username in settings?
binder

Post by binder »

Poiromaniax wrote:Just to add. The current version of the app does not work with dyndns.

hmmm...it should work with dyndns. that shouldnt make much difference if you are using dyndns. there could be an issue with the parsing of the xml data that is getting you. i will have to look at that then. what version of the libraries are you using?

the portal username does not do anything currently. it was added as a forward thinking strategy.

Sent from my iPad mini
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

He is using an older lib since he had a size issue..that could definitely be causing it.
Poiromaniax

Post by Poiromaniax »

binder wrote:
Poiromaniax wrote:Just to add. The current version of the app does not work with dyndns.

hmmm...it should work with dyndns. that shouldnt make much difference if you are using dyndns. there could be an issue with the parsing of the xml data that is getting you. i will have to look at that then. what version of the libraries are you using?

the portal username does not do anything currently. it was added as a forward thinking strategy.

Sent from my iPad mini
lnevo wrote:He is using an older lib since he had a size issue..that could definitely be causing it.
Currently I'm on 1.0.7 because of size, but direct IP address connection works fine. It's odd, dyndns on the app has never worked for me
binder

Post by binder »

hmmm...that is bizarre with dyndns not working. i would not have thought that at all. a puzzler indeed.

Sent from my iPad mini
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Honestly, you said you had problems when the portal gets the IP address from your controller and getting stuck. Thats the same thing dyndns does...your provider could be doing something odd on their network with load balancing and/or nat'ing your outbound connection.