pandimus

Re: Android Reef Angel Status

Post by pandimus »

If you add one more digit you may get same. Thing
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I haven't noticed it.
I'm sure Binder will come up with something that works.
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

I agree. I just think it is a slightly too big font.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I was going to suggest that.
binder

Post by binder »

pandimus wrote:I agree. I just think it is a slightly too big font.
agreed.

I've been experimenting with the font sizes and there's a fine line between normal and too big. I have been trying to use some default Google suggestions for good looks across various sized devices. it's definitely tricky dealing with the UI.

On a side note, I think I have the setup wizard almost completed. I need to implement it inside the main app and it will be good to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
binder

Post by binder »

Updated the font size and got rid of some extra padding.
As you can see, much nicer and cleaner looking. It fits better with the scrolling labels IMO.
device-2015-03-01-081151.png
device-2015-03-01-081151.png (25.32 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Looks better.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I've been trouble shooting a problem with my DC pump and have noticed that if I try to change the DC Pump mode on the app it will cause the app to stop.
binder

Post by binder »

Sacohen wrote:I've been trouble shooting a problem with my DC pump and have noticed that if I try to change the DC Pump mode on the app it will cause the app to stop.
good information. thanks!
does it happen with the other settings?

Sent from my Moto X
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

No just the mode setting.
The mode happens to be in "Else" mode, I don't know if it happens when it's in other modes.
I changed it to Tidal in the Portal and was able to change it to Sine in the app, but when I went to change it to something else from the app it crashed.

Kind of strange behavior.
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

Sacohen wrote:No just the mode setting.
The mode happens to be in "Else" mode, I don't know if it happens when it's in other modes.
I changed it to Tidal in the Portal and was able to change it to Sine in the app, but when I went to change it to something else from the app it crashed.

Exactly what happened with me.. All other modes you can change to/from. But when you get to else mode. If you long press it, app crashes
binder

Post by binder »

ok. thanks for the additional information guys. i'm working on cleaning things up and narrowing down the errors and seeing if i can find the bug.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

No problem. Let me know if you want me to test an updated version.
dapg8gt

Post by dapg8gt »

I'm getting multiple timeouts with the new one and also something connection timed out by peer or something like that..

I am running it along with the original app so I'm unsure if possibly they are conflicting with each other or something..
Last edited by dapg8gt on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My other hobby has 450rwhp and eats tires instead of mysis!
binder

Post by binder »

dapg8gt wrote:I'm getting multiple timeouts with the new one and also something saying timed out/terminated by host or something along those lines..

I am running it along with the original app so I'm unsure if possibly they are conflicting with each other or something..
Yeah, that is very possible. If they are both trying to communicate at the same time or shortly after the other one, then you can run into an issue like that where the connection will timeout. I have seen that before when I try to connect too quickly (1 minute refresh or continuously tapping the refresh button).
dapg8gt

Post by dapg8gt »

binder wrote:
dapg8gt wrote:I'm getting multiple timeouts with the new one and also something saying timed out/terminated by host or something along those lines..

Yeah, that is very possible. If they are both trying to communicate at the same time or shortly after the other one, then you can run into an issue like that where the connection will timeout. I have seen that before when I try to connect too quickly (1 minute refresh or continuously tapping the refresh button).

Gotcha I'll try that thanks..
My other hobby has 450rwhp and eats tires instead of mysis!
binder

Post by binder »

I'm going to post this question because I would like feedback.

I have roughly 48 devices that are running Android 2.X who have my app installed. Of those, 37 are running Android 2.3.3-2.3.7 and only 9 are running Android 2.2.
3 devices are running Android 3.X. (Poor honeycomb devices....they either don't exist anymore or have been upgraded to KitKat)
There are approximately 624 current device installs (as of this post date & time).
Roughly 92% of all devices that are running my app have Android 4.0 or newer.

So, with those statistics being mentioned, I'm considering dropping all support for Android 2.2 & 2.3.3-2.3.7.
The reason for this is because of some of the api calls are not available for the Android 2 devices and you must handle things slightly different. This does create some problems and duplicated code (hopefully not much more).

Does anybody still use Android 2.X with my app for communicating with their controller or portal?
I don't want to continue to maintain the older devices if nobody actively uses it. And for those who are going to ask, maintaining the app to run on the old devices is not limiting what new features or functionality for new devices. At least it's not limiting anything currently. I'm sure there will come a time in the future that I have to drop support for old devices. I just didn't know if that time was now or not.
And on those same lines, if I did drop support for the old devices with the next release, the existing app will still be available, it's just that the old devices would not get updated.

Comments anybody?
mudcat1

Post by mudcat1 »

Curt,
I am still using Android ver. 2.3.4 but I am not suggesting that you have to continue to support it, because I could also use Roberto's universal app on the iPhone, if necessary. I know it can be a pain to support older versions of software.
binder

Post by binder »

mudcat1 wrote:Curt,
I am still using Android ver. 2.3.4 but I am not suggesting that you have to continue to support it, because I could also use Roberto's universal app on the iPhone, if necessary. I know it can be a pain to support older versions of software.
thanks for the info.
are there any features that i am adding that you are wanting?
you will still be able to run the existing version of the app and it wont just stop working. it just will not update anymore. so you can continue to run the app. i also maintain a repository of all the old versions if they are needed. so you wont have to switch to using the iphone app if you did not want to.

Sent from my iPad mini
mudcat1

Post by mudcat1 »

binder wrote:
mudcat1 wrote:Curt,
thanks for the info.
are there any features that i am adding that you are wanting?
you will still be able to run the existing version of the app and it wont just stop working. it just will not update anymore. so you can continue to run the app. i also maintain a repository of all the old versions if they are needed. so you wont have to switch to using the iphone app if you did not want to.

Sent from my iPad mini
Curt,
The existing app is working great for me. So no worries.
binder

Post by binder »

mudcat1 wrote: Curt,
The existing app is working great for me. So no worries.
awesome. I'm glad to hear that.
binder

Post by binder »

pandimus wrote:
Sacohen wrote:No just the mode setting.

Exactly what happened with me.. All other modes you can change to/from. But when you get to else mode. If you long press it, app crashes
I tracked down and fixed that bug. It was an easy one once I had my Plus connected up. It was an error on my part and I've got it working now just fine with changing the DC Pump settings from all the modes.
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

Is your second beta comming out soon?
binder

Post by binder »

pandimus wrote:Is your second beta comming out soon?
yes, possibly this weekend.
i have been having some troubles with the material themes and the settings pages. they are handled a little different and need some special adaptation for nested settings pages like I use.
swapping the theme on the fly is trickier from a nested setting as well. I've been thinking about the best way to handle it.
my main desktop motherboard died on me and I had to rma it. i should have it back this weekend. and I've been under the weather over the last 2 weeks. i
that really put a damper on things because i had stuff i wanted to get working but couldn't.

regardless, i should be able to get a second beta out this weekend with the fixes but maybe not the ability to change themes between light and dark just yet.

Sent from my iPad mini
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

Sorry for all your trouble.. I hope you feel better.. Take your time i was just Curious.. Im surprised they didn't just send you a new mobo
phrusher

Post by phrusher »

Isn't it possible to have multiple versions deployed simultaneously in the play store, targeting different platforms? I think I read something about that some time ago. If so then it would be possible to keep the current version that targets pre 4.0 for legacy and users with +4.0 would get the new version.

It was a long time ago I read about this so I could be wrong, or I just misunderstood...
binder

Post by binder »

pandimus wrote:Sorry for all your trouble.. I hope you feel better.. Take your time i was just Curious.. Im surprised they didn't just send you a new mobo
its no trouble at all...just part of it at times.
the mobo failed after 2 months, so i had to do the rma process. its all good though.

Sent from my iPad mini
binder

Post by binder »

phrusher wrote:Isn't it possible to have multiple versions deployed simultaneously in the play store, targeting different platforms? I think I read something about that some time ago. If so then it would be possible to keep the current version that targets pre 4.0 for legacy and users with +4.0 would get the new version.

It was a long time ago I read about this so I could be wrong, or I just misunderstood...
i dont think you can have multiple versions targeting different platforms.
the legacy users just will not be able to upgrade to anything newer than the version they are at. i think what i will do when i release the next version i will make a note in the description about legacy users (those pre 4.0 devices) wanting the app to get it from my own public repository. I have a repository of every release for the app that is publicly available.

I will also check into this a little more and maybe there is something i can do for older versions.

Sent from my iPad mini
phrusher

Post by phrusher »

binder wrote:i dont think you can have multiple versions targeting different platforms.
the legacy users just will not be able to upgrade to anything newer than the version they are at.
I had a look around and found this: http://developer.android.com/google/play/filters.html
You can use any combination of the available filters for your app. For example, you can set a minSdkVersion requirement of "4" and set smallScreens="false" in the app, then when uploading the app to Google Play you could target European countries (carriers) only. Google Play's filters will thus prevent the application from being available on any device that does not match all three of these requirements.
So if I understand correctly you activate multiple APKs in the play store and you set <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="14"> in your updated app, then the new version should only be visible to +4.0 devices and people with old devices could still install the legacy app from the play store. This way it would still be possible to deploy maintenance releases for legacy devices if you really, really need to.