Documentation Wiki - things to do.....

Would you like to help?
Share your walkthrough tutorial with others
Naptalene

Documentation Wiki - things to do.....

Post by Naptalene »

Hello, as requested I'm starting this thread to try give a list of things that are outstanding for the Wiki.
Please bear with me as I try to populate this.

So far I have pretty much just been data capturing the different units offered, and attempted to categorise and provide links that cross-referance each other, making it quick for users to try find the different "chunks" of code they might need - and to make them aware of some of the awesome stuff you guys have created that I personally didn't even realise you could do so easily.

The main sections that have not been touched so far are the following:

1. What I think of as the "Coders" section.

This in my mind would hold the library info as per the existing WIKI. possibly we can just link to it or I can copy/paste from that wiki so it's in one place.
I am completely out of my depth so you guys must tell me what you want and I can put it in there/organise it if you want.

2. Frequently Requested Code.

We need a list of these. We can start trawling the threads to try build a list of them.... but I'm sure you guys already know a few culprits that pop up often.

3. Example codes.

These were just basic codes I was thumbsucking to show broad examples examples for each of the expansion modules.
I was using the wizard wherever possible and I was trying to give 2 options. For example DC pumps using standard dimming channels and then the same code, but using the DimmingExpansion and a different PWM shape so people can see that its actually the same thing but just changing 2 variables. And then I was trying to use the same examples wherever possible for different modules. So that same code could be used for The DC pump and Dimming examples.
It makes it easier for people when you repeat the same thing over, and over, and over, and over.........

Is this a waste of time?
I thought it makes a quick search for standard code easy, but then are we making the frequently asked code sectionredundant?
Does the Frequenty Requested Code section become the next step up? So its more about how do I implement time frames for DCpump modes etc?

4. Memory ( For Normal users :oops: )

We need to get an explanation of the basic memory options users can use - basically the wizard options.
The fact that you really need the wifi unit to use them.
And can we get the code change for each one..... so this in hard code, becomes this to enable it.
Along these lines

Reefangel.DosingPumprepeat( port1, 0,5,25);
shanges to
ReefAngel.Dosingpumprepeat1(Port1)
to go into the memory

And this kind of stuff for the coders section:
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2383
The actual memory locations etc. for people who actually understand whats going on.

I will make 4 new replies now for each of those topics and we can edit those as we go as far as needed topics.

As an aside, I know I never bothered going back into the Wizard because I thought that my RA had been set up so why do I need the wizard..... that thing is a very powerful tool that you should probably market (I hate that phrase but it seems appropriate) more. By going through this process I've realized I can use it to make almost any basic function I can imagine but instead I would trawl the forum trying to find answers without even trying the wizard and just pasting that dedicated chunk into my code.
Believe it or not.... I can ask even stupider questions than this one.
Naptalene

Re: Documentation Wiki - things to do.....

Post by Naptalene »

1.Coders section:

Awaiting input, to do list to be populated
Last edited by Naptalene on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Naptalene

Post by Naptalene »

2. Frequently Requested codes:

List to be further populated:

2.1. Different times for different DCPump modes - not done
Last edited by Naptalene on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Naptalene

Post by Naptalene »

3. Example codes:

List to be populated....
Naptalene

Post by Naptalene »

4. Memory for Users

4.1 Introduction/Explanation - not done
4.2 List of codes that change between hard code and memory code - not done.

I found the perfect example/explanation from Rimai the other day on dosing pumps but can't seem to find it now :(
It was so simple but succinct.