uploading trouble question about USB 3.0

New members questions
adrenalinejunkie

uploading trouble question about USB 3.0

Post by adrenalinejunkie »

I have been having trouble uploading a new code. One of my buddy's came over this weekend and said that the problem is that my laptop has USB 3.0 installed and that the USB converter that I am using is an older USB device and wont work with USB 3.0 or something to that effect. Im not very computer savey at all and the only thing I understand about this is one is new and the other is old LOL He recommended borrowing and computer with USB 2.0 and seeing if it works. He's pretty good with computer so I kinda believe him but just don't understand why I cant just downgrade mine, which he said isn't easy or a good idea or something like that didn't really understand it, or another way to fix it. Has anybody else had this problem or know anything about this. If that could be the problem im having or if he's totally in left field.

Thanks
TJ
cosmith71

Re: uploading trouble question about USB 3.0

Post by cosmith71 »

You should have a 2.0 on your laptop. 3.0 ports have blue in the them and 2.0's dont. I doubt it makes a difference, though since 3.0 is backwards compatible.

--Colin
adrenalinejunkie

Actually all the USB ports on my laptop are blue and he showed me that when he goes somewhere devices and printer folder clicks fix it the error comes up and says its not compatible with USB 3.0 I remember checking it before but didn't realize it said it wasn't compatible

TJ
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

It should still work as USB 2.0. What kind of trouble are you having uploading?
adrenalinejunkie

My computer isn't communicating with the controller the last time that I remember being able to upload a new code was quite a long time ago and my computer asked to do an update and I did it and wasn't able to upload afterwards not sure what the update was or what it did but I thought at the time it was Arduino program asking to do the update

This is what my buddy showed me the problem is if it helps. I really have idea as I done know anything about most of this kinda stuff except if it works or not lol

TJ
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

That shouldn't matter. It should fall back to USB 2.0 standards. What problems are you having when you try to upload? Is it giving an error message?
adrenalinejunkie

My computer beeps when I plug it in recognizing that it's plugged in but when I try to upload a code the reef angel does not restart and the code on the bottom says it's not in sync
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Is this a different computer than before?
adrenalinejunkie

A couple years ago I had a different computer that I always used and never had any problems with then I bought this computer and installed everything the first time I change the code everything worked OK the next time I change the code I couldn't hit generate code and upload I had to hit generate code X out of the wizard then hit upload in the program then a few more months down the line I wantd to change something else and I couldn't get it to upload I switch the port that I plug the USB cable into to a different one I hadn't used before and it worked but still had to x out of the wizard first that time after I changed the code my computer asked to update something no idea what but thought it was the Arduino program so I did then an hour or so later I tried to add something and haven't been able to change anything since
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Have you tried a new cable?
adrenalinejunkie

Not yet was hoping to find one tomorrow know where I could find one
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

USB-TTL Converter cable in the webstore.
adrenalinejunkie

Is there a way to test the one I have