Maxspect Gyre Icecap module contents?

AlanM

Maxspect Gyre Icecap module contents?

Post by AlanM »

Anyone get their hands on one yet to see what it actually does? It must do something pretty good in order to cost so much to take 0-10V and convert it into pump speeds. I'm wondering if anyone here has torn one down yet to see if something DIY could be done to control one from a ReefAngel.
Ismaclst

Re: Maxspect Gyre Icecap module contents?

Post by Ismaclst »

I just purchased the Maxspect Gyre, and I'm also interested in this.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Nobody so far. Would love to hear what it can do with a real brain behind it...who is going to take the plunge.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Give me a week or so.
Roberto.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Roberto, any word on what this icecap module thingy does? I am setting up a new tank and am trying to decide between Vortech and Gyre. The price is similar with the module included, but Gyre is much cheaper if my ReefAngel can talk to it directly in some way that doesn't cost $125 for each pump.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Sorry for the delay.
Yes, the icecap module works just fine with RA :)
I was having issues trying to figure out why it wasn't working for me when another RA member had it working for him.
The problem was that I was trying to test the pump out of the water. The module requires the pump to be inside water to work as intended.
This pump is kick ass. It is way better than a vortech IMO.
Roberto.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Ahhh. The reverse feature has very little benefit from what I felt as far as water movement.
Roberto.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

But what does the icecap do? Did you open it up by chance? I assumed the icecap would work fine from reefangel but would like to use reefangel to control the gyre directly or diy an alternative to the icecap to go between the reefangel and gyre.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Oh. I didn't do that. I would probably have no interest in trying to reinvent the wheel though. Their product does what it is supposed to do.
Roberto.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

OK. When I get one I'm going to put the output on a scope to see what it is putting out since no one seems to know.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I forget who but someone said it was like an RC plane servo type interface and it had a different type of PWM input pattern. Lets see if I can pull up the thread
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

lnevo wrote:I forget who but someone said it was like an RC plane servo type interface and it had a different type of PWM input pattern. Lets see if I can pull up the thread
I remember that thread on reef central.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

It's in there somewhere
dedvalson

Post by dedvalson »

The Gyre pump (like most so called DC pumps) is really a 3 phase AC pump. The IceCap module accepts a 0-10Volt signal and outputs a 3 phase AC signal where the frequency, current and voltage of the AC are all modulated by the 0-10 Volt input.

It is not simply a matter of changing voltages, it is actually varying the frequency of the 3 phase AC signal going to the pump. Reversing is acomplished by changing the phase order of the 3 AC phases (just like in any 3 phase motor).

The 3 phase output is itself generated using PWM techniques, but it is PWM at 50 KHz and the PWM is being used to generate complex 3 phase AC waveforms.

By putting different rotors in the Gyre it can be configured to produce maximum flow forward, maximum flow backward or a balanced flow. In the balanced flow mode, one end of the pump moves a lot of water when the pump spins one way, the other end of the pump moves a lot of water when it spins the other way. The Gyre is shipped with 4 rotors. 2 A rotors and 2 B rotors. Normally you have an A and a B installed, which gives full output when going forward. If you were to reverse the 2, youwould get full output when going backwards. If you put in 2 A's or 2 B;s you get balanced flow, where it moves the same amout of water in either direction.

I have 2 Gyre 150s in my 6' long 180 gallon tank both running under Reef Angel control with the Ice Cap modules.. I run them in a reversing cycle where one is on at a time and the one that is on goes up to 40%. Twice a day I kick them up to 60% for 1 minute to flush stuff out of the rocks. At 100% the Gyre is so strong that the water will flow in a laminar sheet all the way across the top of the 6 foot length of the tank, down the far end, and stir up gravel on the bottom at the end 6 feet away from the pump.

I have 2 ecotech 40W pumps that are for sale if anyone wants them. After seeing the Gyre I see no use for them anymore. The Gyre is far more powerful, much quieter, and produces this cool laminar flow.

Don
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

dedvalson wrote:The Gyre pump (like most so called DC pumps) is really a 3 phase AC pump. The IceCap module accepts a 0-10Volt signal and outputs a 3 phase AC signal where the frequency, current and voltage of the AC are all modulated by the 0-10 Volt input.

It is not simply a matter of changing voltages, it is actually varying the frequency of the 3 phase AC signal going to the pump. Reversing is acomplished by changing the phase order of the 3 AC phases (just like in any 3 phase motor).

The 3 phase output is itself generated using PWM techniques, but it is PWM at 50 KHz and the PWM is being used to generate complex 3 phase AC waveforms.

By putting different rotors in the Gyre it can be configured to produce maximum flow forward, maximum flow backward or a balanced flow. In the balanced flow mode, one end of the pump moves a lot of water when the pump spins one way, the other end of the pump moves a lot of water when it spins the other way. The Gyre is shipped with 4 rotors. 2 A rotors and 2 B rotors. Normally you have an A and a B installed, which gives full output when going forward. If you were to reverse the 2, youwould get full output when going backwards. If you put in 2 A's or 2 B;s you get balanced flow, where it moves the same amout of water in either direction.

I have 2 Gyre 150s in my 6' long 180 gallon tank both running under Reef Angel control with the Ice Cap modules.. I run them in a reversing cycle where one is on at a time and the one that is on goes up to 40%. Twice a day I kick them up to 60% for 1 minute to flush stuff out of the rocks. At 100% the Gyre is so strong that the water will flow in a laminar sheet all the way across the top of the 6 foot length of the tank, down the far end, and stir up gravel on the bottom at the end 6 feet away from the pump.

I have 2 ecotech 40W pumps that are for sale if anyone wants them. After seeing the Gyre I see no use for them anymore. The Gyre is far more powerful, much quieter, and produces this cool laminar flow.

Don
Don! Thanks for all the info about what the Gyre pumps do.

I am setting up a 180g as we speak and am planning to do exactly what you're saying with 2 XF150s on my ReefAngel. What orientation do you have them in? (I assume one on each end near the top horizontally from what you posted)
dedvalson

Post by dedvalson »

AlanM wrote: Don! Thanks for all the info about what the Gyre pumps do.

I am setting up a 180g as we speak and am planning to do exactly what you're saying with 2 XF150s on my ReefAngel. What orientation do you have them in? (I assume one on each end near the top horizontally from what you posted)
Yes, I have them horizontally on each end a few inches down from the top. The only problem I have is that on one end, the gyre goes behind my overflow, so I moved that one as close to the front as possible.

Don