icecap gyre forward/reverse

New members questions
oftheangels

icecap gyre forward/reverse

Post by oftheangels »

I was watching a youtube video (sorry couldn't figure out how to post a link here) on using an apex to control a maxxspect gyre pump (through the icecap) in alternating gyre mode. Is this possible using the ReefAngel? It talks about 'virtual' and 'regular' outputs to set the speed and the direction of a single pump. Any advice?

-LeoD
rimai

Re: icecap gyre forward/reverse

Post by rimai »

Yes, you can use the dimming ports to control speed on 2 Gyre or control both speed and direction on 1 Gyre.
You do need the Icecap interface module though.
Roberto.
gpsinger

Post by gpsinger »

Hi. I have a maxspect gyre and icecap working with my RA, but I havent figured out how to control direction (forward/reverse). I can't find a post anywhere on how to do that. Is it difficult? Can anyone give an example?

Thanks!
rimai

Post by rimai »

Are you using the Y cable with 2 mono audio connectors or the single stereo audio connector cable?
Can you post a photo?
Roberto.
gpsinger

Post by gpsinger »

I am using the standard cable the icecap comes with spliced onto a dimming port lead wire to connect to the RA. Do I need to get the modified cable that coralvue sells? Or is there another way? Here's a picture of my icecap if that helps.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (60.74 KiB) Viewed 9696 times
rimai

Post by rimai »

If you spliced only one channel, you must splice the other one too.
One controls speed and the other controls direction.
Roberto.
gpsinger

Post by gpsinger »

I got the alternate gyre mode wire from coralvue and the dimming expansion but I'm not sure I'm wiring it correctly. Any idea which wires are for speed and which for direction?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 9684 times
Wire colors are green, orange, orange with white stripe and blue with white stripe.

Thanks!
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

First, pretty sure the striped ones are ground. I would bet that the Orange is channel one and most likely speed, while Green is probably the second channel and would leave reverse. I would test and see how it goes.
rimai

Post by rimai »

The kessil cable in the webstore should work too if you don't want to path your own
Roberto.
oftheangels

Post by oftheangels »

Did you ever get the direction control to work?

I have the additional cable and the orange wire on port 1 (speed) and the green wire on port 2 (direction). I've got my forward speed working fine but I have not been able to get the pump to go into reverse. I was under the impression (probably false) that sending 0 volt to the direction channel was forward and sending 1 volt to the direction channel would reverse it?

Am I supposed to be sending the actual speed voltage to the direction channel for reverse? If this is the case I would assume I need to send 0 to the speed channel (in which case port 1 would be forward and port 2 would be reverse)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gpsinger wrote:I got the alternate gyre mode wire from coralvue and the dimming expansion but I'm not sure I'm wiring it correctly. Any idea which wires are for speed and which for direction?
image.jpeg
Wire colors are green, orange, orange with white stripe and blue with white stripe.

Thanks!
rimai

Post by rimai »

I did manage to get direction to work.
The main thing is that you can't have the pump out of the water.
This will only work if the pump is immersed in water and you must go through their initial calibration also with the pump inside the water.
I made the mistake of trying to get this out of the water and I only got strange results.
0%=forward and 100%=reverse
Roberto.
oftheangels

Post by oftheangels »

Thanks Roberto,

I will give that a shot when I get home. I was thinking it might be 100% but was afraid of blowing all the sand out of my trank ;^)

-LeoD
rimai

Post by rimai »

I used a bucket full of water
Roberto.