JR45 0 to 10 control cable for RA?

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
PJames

JR45 0 to 10 control cable for RA?

Post by PJames »

Hi, I am in the middle of a fresh water automated aquarium project, I decided the Reef angel is the best option for my project. I need to use 1 DC return pump and 1 closed loop DC pump, with flow control by the Reef Angel. I know about the Jerboa cable, which works with the 1st generation DC pumps that use 5V analog control from Jeboa/ speedwave , RLSS speedline ... My problem is that these pumps are not reliable enough for external use and my closed loop pump needs to be external. I know I can use a Echotech Vectra pump but it's beyond what I can afford. I am willing to take a chance on a Deepwater Aquatics DC Pump or the last generation of RLSS Waveline Apex ready DC pumps. So far I can't find any practical way to interface these with Reef Angel, The Deepwater Aquatics bump wiring a is a bit different than the Jaboa pumps and so far I have not found a solution for this on the web. The new RLSS waveline pumps have a JR45 port for 0 to 10V analog control with an APEX controller and so will the Deepwater Aquatics controller have one. So... I see my only salvation is if someone comes up with a "Apex ready" JR45 cable / interface for the Reef Angel. That's only thing stopping me from getting a Reef Angel, any information or advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
lnevo

Re: JR45 0 to 10 control cable for RA?

Post by lnevo »

You could easily wire an rj45 cable to the ReefAngel. If your using the dimmig expansion just strip an ethernet cable and take the two orange wires most likely. Should be pin 1&2 for apex channel 1. If using the relay box dimming ports you can buy the connector on the store and splice them to the ethernet wire.
PJames

Post by PJames »

Interesting, Thanks Inevo for the pin out info, I did wonder if it's a simple mater of making the connections, I see that I can send 0-10VDC with analog control from the RA hardware, at this point all I know is that the RJ45 control port on the motor controller is 0-10VDC Analog, no PWM signal needed?? I wonder if it's that simple? just feed 0 to 10 V with 2 wires (Negative and Positive) and the motor controller just responds to that? 1V = 10% power to the motor and 10V = 100% power to the motor? no other control signals needed? No other protocol needs to be fallowed?

In any case all I need to know for now if It's simple enough where I can do it by making some sort of cable or interface board, if the answer is Yes or better if someone has done it, I will buy all the Angel Reef hardware and the DC motors :mrgreen:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeap. It's that simple. 1v=10% or close to that and 10v=100%.
Some pumps start responding to 3 to 4 volts. So you will never be able to truly get 10%, but that's the idea.
Just cut the rj45 end of the cable and either connect straight to the dimming module or splice the dimming port lead wire to use the standard dimming channels that come with the base RA system.
Roberto.
PJames

Post by PJames »

OK then, thanks Roberto for the info! Is there anyone that has been doing this for a while than can tell me their experience, working fine? I guess so far It's only been done on the new waveline Apex ready or Red Dragon pumps?
rimai

Post by rimai »

I have the old Jebao DC pump connected for about 2 years being controlled through RA.
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4841
Roberto.
PJames

Post by PJames »

Yes, I did see the video a while back, that's badass :mrgreen:
Sorry for not being clear, I meant if anyone can convey their experience controlling a DC pump with RA though the RJ45 port on the newer model DC pumps, I believe it works just wondering how well.
If there is a way to run an old Jeboa pump safely as an external pump, I would try it, maybe improving the seals in the impeller housing? The tank will be in my living room so need to be careful :D