Reef Angel Controller Questions

New members questions
robmwpropane

Reef Angel Controller Questions

Post by robmwpropane »

I posted this in the other section, but maybe better here;

Ok, so I haven't got it yet (ordered and on it's way), but I was playing around with the wizard and had a few questions that google hasn't answered. First let me state that my first issue might be alleviated once I get the RA and plug it in to load the drivers.

Windows 7 64bit, 16gb ram, AMD 8 core (if you needed to know), latest Java installed...

1.) When I first open Arduino - Reef Angel Controller it takes forever to open, like 30-40 seconds. I had it installed on a different hard drive besides C, uninstalled, reinstalled on C (SSD), same thing.

2.) Once it does open, things seem to work fine, until I try to click "Tools", and then the program freezes for another 15 seconds (literally) and then I can use the drop down menu.

Again, this may be because it has not had the actual RA connected yet?

My last question completely different;

3.) I've thought about this for a while, never saw it. And I'm only asking hypothetical, not asking someone to code anything. When I buy new coral, I acclimate them to the LEDs's that I have on a weekly or so basis by %. I start around 40% or so (depending on the coral) and ramp it up by 10% or so every week until I'm back where I want to be. Would it be possible to do this with RA, say activate a "Acclimate" mode, and have it ramp up on a weekly basis? Again, just a hypothetical thought.

I've read through some of the code to follow the logic, and read through the forums, I just haven't seen anything with a timer that is different outside of a typical 24hr period

P.S. - Everything I've read on this forum rocks. I don't think I've come across any slander, or "search this" commented in a negative way. Forums like this are few and far between nowadays. It's nice to see people helping one another and working on common solutions together - end (small) rant...
cosmith71

Re: Reef Angel Controller Questions

Post by cosmith71 »

That delay is not normal. I'm not sure that it's dependent on the driver, either. You may need to uninstall and then go manually delete any remaining directories. You may need to disable anti-virus during install and add the RA software to the exclusion list as well.

That acclimation code exists. It works best if you're using the Reef Angel Status Android app to change some memory locations. Let me know when you're ready and I can help you with it.

--Colin
rimai

Post by rimai »

I think the problem is that you have a bluetooth device and that is what the symptom is.
Colin doesn't see that anymore because he has the bluetooth attachment and he already patched his system.
Go through this post and patch your IDE with the new rxtxSerial.dll attached to that post.
Roberto.
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

cosmith71 wrote: That acclimation code exists. It works best if you're using the Reef Angel Status Android app to change some memory locations. Let me know when you're ready and I can help you with it.

--Colin
Thank you for the offer, I'm not there yet, but I'll take you up on it when the time comes.
rimai wrote:I think the problem is that you have a bluetooth device and that is what the symptom is.
Colin doesn't see that anymore because he has the bluetooth attachment and he already patched his system.
Go through this post and patch your IDE with the new rxtxSerial.dll attached to that post.
This did the trick, program works flawless now.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

I forgot about the BT patch. :D
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I have acclimation code in my INO. I know my code is advanced but you can use it as examples. I break things out by function so usually things are self-contained.

My acclimation is like a timer, each day it goes down one. The day # is used as a multiplier to either adjust the photoperiod or to adjust the dimming %.

Say you set it to 30 days and each day will remove 1%. It'll start as 30x1 and subtract that from your normal %. The next day, counter goes to 29 and it only removes 29% and so on and so forth till it drops to 0 and removes 0x1 :)
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

lnevo wrote:I have acclimation code in my INO. I know my code is advanced but you can use it as examples. I break things out by function so usually things are self-contained.

My acclimation is like a timer, each day it goes down one. The day # is used as a multiplier to either adjust the photoperiod or to adjust the dimming %.

Say you set it to 30 days and each day will remove 1%. It'll start as 30x1 and subtract that from your normal %. The next day, counter goes to 29 and it only removes 29% and so on and so forth till it drops to 0 and removes 0x1 :)
So it would start at -30% of whatever your normal setting is, add 1% every day, then be back to normal? Nice.

On a side note, why are some posts such small print and others normal? Phone vs PC?
Edit: I only see a difference in font size when viewing the forum on a phone. Viewing from PC all posts are the same...