Portal issues?

Related to the Portal
ucez

Portal issues?

Post by ucez »

I haven't been able to access the web chart for a couple of weeks. It opens, just no data. I also noticed that when I refresh the portal it sometimes shows the "last update" as 11/12/2016 or "never", other times it's fine, but always seems to be very slow...

The only thing that is different from before is that I added a wireless access point in my house, could that be the problem? I can still access the RA via my tablet and the portal works sometimes, but maybe I need to reconfigure the wifi attachment?
lnevo

Re: Portal issues?

Post by lnevo »

Did you change your code recently. The updates are sent outgoing from the RA to the portal every 5 minutes. If last update was 11/12 then it hasn't received anything since then.

Now sometimes you see data it means that after you load the portal, you're able to connect successfully and it's polling the live value instead of the recorded one.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Here's the page that shows your last update.

http://forum.reefangel.com/status/params.aspx?id=ucez

You can see the date matches.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Oh and check if you have a portal key set in the portal settings, or if you added a key in the code. If they don't match you will have this problem too.
ucez

Post by ucez »

I haven't changed the code. However, it dawned on me this morning that when I added the access point, I changed the network SSID. The RA wifi was (is) connecting the the network so I didn't really think about it until now. But know that I do, I don't understand why it is connecting, but maybe that's the issue. Anyway, I will try reprogramming the wifi (or changing the SSID back) and see if that fixes it.
ucez

Post by ucez »

Reprogrammed the wifi, no change. Portal key is off in the portal settings. No portal key in the code.

Any ideas?

No idea if it's related, but I had a problem with email alerts a while back that you needed to fix on the server. http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6137
rimai

Post by rimai »

Try updating the wifi attachment with the macro here: http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4601
Roberto.
ucez

Post by ucez »

Before updating the wifi attachment, I wanted to make sure the port forwarding is working correctly. I've got port forwarding set up on static IP address using TCP/UDP; any port to 2000. With that I can see the "Reef Angel Controller Web Server" through both the local address and reef angel address. I know that means the wireless is connected, but does it mean that it's the portal connection is working?
rimai

Post by rimai »

it means that you can connect to the wifi attachment, but that doesn't mean that the wifi attachment can connect to the portal.
Usually it is supposed to, but obviously it is not working for you.
So, I'm thinking one of the settings may be wrong.
Roberto.
ucez

Post by ucez »

OK, reprogramming now...
ucez

Post by ucez »

No change, connected, portal not updating.
ucez

Post by ucez »

OK, so it's connecting and displaying live data on portal. Is there anyway to test if it is getting updates from RA or do I just need to wait for a while to see if it starts showing up on the web chart?
ucez

Post by ucez »

back to the same problem, intermittent connection to portal, sometimes live data, sometimes old, sometimes "never"
ucez

Post by ucez »

Seems to be working now!
Paul_Velasco

Post by Paul_Velasco »

Just so you know you are not insane. Have not changed code in months. Live data showing but no recent data to Portal. Stopped collecting data on 12/23 no updates since that date.
Paul_Velasco

Post by Paul_Velasco »

Strangely no live data on Portal but phone app and PC and Client App showing live data.

Any ideas? Should I reset the RA?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Try updating the settings on the wifi attachment with this macro:
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4601
Roberto.
Paul_Velasco

Post by Paul_Velasco »

rimai wrote:Try updating the settings on the wifi attachment with this macro:
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4601
Roberto I did this previously as I was not even connecting months ago. This is now a recent Phenomena?

All was well until 12/23
rimai

Post by rimai »

I'm thinking it has to do with the server change we had a few months ago.
There is a forwarding but I need to investigate further.
The new macro points to the new server already
Roberto.
Paul_Velasco

Post by Paul_Velasco »

rimai wrote:I'm thinking it has to do with the server change we had a few months ago.
There is a forwarding but I need to investigate further.
The new macro points to the new server already
Thanks Roberto! User for a few years now and loved the connectivity, reason for the original purchase. Would really like to get this resolved.
whamblen

Post by whamblen »

Paul_Velasco wrote:Just so you know you are not insane. Have not changed code in months. Live data showing but no recent data to Portal. Stopped collecting data on 12/23 no updates since that date.
FWIW, I'm seeing the same thing. Live data in the android/iOS apps and portal but no historical data since 12/23 in any of the three. I have tried rebooting the controller but it made no difference. I'm remote right now so there isn't much else I can try.

- Bill
rimai

Post by rimai »

Have you guys updated the wifi attachment with the tera term macro yet?
I want to make sure this is the problem.
Roberto.
Paul_Velasco

Post by Paul_Velasco »

Months ago when I could not even connect? It stopped same day for me 12/23.

Reboot last night nothing.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Months ago doesnt work. I'd like you to update again to make sure you are pointing to the correct server
Roberto.
whamblen

Post by whamblen »

There is no way to update the WiFi settings from 200 miles away, is there? e.g. with an SSH connection instead of over the serial cable?

Unless there is, I cannot try that until next week. Sorry...

- Bill
rimai

Post by rimai »

There is with telnet, but you have to be super fast and I'm not so sure if you will be able to do it.
I've never tried before.
Roberto.
whamblen

Post by whamblen »

Ah... I haven't looked carefully at the ttl file yet but I can easily pipe the guts of it into telnet (or probably netcat) so typing speed is irrelevant. Or by speed do you mean getting all the commands in before a connection reset happens?

Anyway, my internet connection is a bit dodgy where I am right now and there is other stuff going on so I don't want to try it today. But tomorrow I should have both time and a solid connection so I'll look into it then.
rimai

Post by rimai »

The setting that is on your module is "set c i 3"
Which means if the connection is idle (no incoming characters) for 3 seconds, it will close it.
So, if you can make it without typing, you may in good shape.
Roberto.
Civics14

Post by Civics14 »

Ran the macro to fix the issue with portal history not working, now my wifi adapter won't even connect...

When I change the SSID and my wifi SSID has a space in between it, how do I word it in the macro file? I'm assuming that could be the issue?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Use $ instead of space.
Roberto.