help troubleshooting hardware issue

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
Naptalene

help troubleshooting hardware issue

Post by Naptalene »

Hi,

I think I've lost communication between my Head Unit and the relay box.
My basic setup is an RA Plus, single relay box and wifi unit.
I have 3 temp probes and use the two I/o's for sump level safety (float switch) and a little relay to trigger a power out mode.

Last night I heard a relay going berserk. Rapid fire on and off for about two seconds. This would happen randomly.
I checked things out and thought it might have been the float switch giving up on me. I unplugged that and the issue continued. I tried the same thing with relay and it didn't have any effect either. At this point the I/O display on the head unit would not show any changes to the state of the input which was a bit odd.
Power cycling the system didn't change the behaviour.
I connected via the phone app and turned the relay that was freaking out into "ON" mode. Went to bed.

This morning I power cycled the unit again.
I/O on the head unit is displaying the current status of the IO ports correctly.
When I change any relay's to on/off/auto via the phone app, the head unit reflects the changes but no relays respond.
I have a slow flashing "Status" red light

Code is the same I've been running for two years so nothing is different there.
To confuse things, I think the float switch has died and might be adding to the confusion. I'll try swop that out when I get home tonight.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT.....its first issue I've ever had with the unit and it's been rock solid for years:)
Believe it or not.... I can ask even stupider questions than this one.
Naptalene

Re: help troubleshooting hardware issue

Post by Naptalene »

Ok,

Haven't been able to check the float switch but if I scroll on the head unit there is an item that says "bus lock"

Edit : original float switch is working. Tested with a new one and all the I/O ports are being read by the head unit correctly.

I read some guys had issues with expansions and getting the bus lock issue but I don't have any at this point.
Naptalene

Post by Naptalene »

Dang,

Tried to reboot by pulling the power out of the relay box.
Everything is now dead - no power.
We had a power spike yesterday..... I have a ups between the mains and RA. Do you think it could have been fried by the spike?
Any way to tell?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Looks like water damage somewhere
Roberto.
Naptalene

Post by Naptalene »

Hi,
It suddenly settled down so I started migrating gear back onto the Relay box.
I then heard the random relay again.

It would appear to be an issue with the WiFi attachment (water damage or other). I unplugged that and it's running solid for about 12 hours.
Just put it back in and lets see .....