Stray Voltage - Nothing Plugged In except pH probe.

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
ecam

Re: Stray Voltage - Nothing Plugged In except pH probe.

Post by ecam »

Hey guys sorry to resurrect this. But I just had an electrician tell me that two of my reef angel boxes have properly lost their insulation properties and are leaking voltage and causing my gfi to trip.

I did the same test where I stuck the black voltmeter piece into ground and the red into the water. I got 47 volts. I unplugged everything one by one with no change to 47 until I unplugged the box itself and voltage went to zero. I grabbed another relay box and replaced and the voltage went to zero. No leak. So it was isolated down to the box itself.

I have a similar problem with my other reef angel. But I don't have another box to test.

Could the box really be the prophl and if so can it be repaired ?

@rimai @lenevo
ecam

Post by ecam »

Can I please get a reply on this from the ra guru.

My problem is exactly as described in this entry. But there is no resolution. I still have the voltage in tank and my gfi keeps tripping. Help please
rimai

Post by rimai »

The replay box has a floating DC power supply, which means it is not grounded to earth.
So, measuring voltages with reference to earth may yield different results depending on which power supply you are measuring.
Roberto.
tech9

Post by tech9 »

I am having the same issue. Unplugged everything but the PH probe, and getting 10V with a multi meter in the tank. Unplugged less than 1v. You can feel it when you stick your hand in the tank. I have a calcium reactor hooked up and NEED the ph probe. I measured this from a relay outlet ground, to the tank with the red probe.

I'm getting decent PH readings, at least I think I am. I have also tried a new ph probe with same results.