Wave / Power Head - alternate off on by day

Related to the development libraries, released by Curt Binder
saf1

Wave / Power Head - alternate off on by day

Post by saf1 »

Quick question I hope. Is there a function or routine that would alternate two different power heads (in this case Jebao RW-4's) off and on every say 4 to 8 hours? If that is how long it takes to run through Reefcrest?

I have alternated them by if then else over 24 hours but wondering if there is an easier way. I have two in a 40 breeder and it can be a bit much with soft corals. Hoping to have one side kick on for a couple hours then shut down and let the other side kick in. Searching the forums and I see a lot of random which always would be nice if I could alternate left/right side but my code never seemed to work.

Figured I'd ask. Thanks for any pointers or sample code.
binder

Re: Wave / Power Head - alternate off on by day

Post by binder »

I have my Maxspect Gyre XF230's running opposite each other using the DCPump class. One is plugged into the DP port and the other in the AP port. Mine alternate every minute and run on the LongPulse mode. I have mine set to use the internal memory during the daytime and then at night, I use alternate values to run the LongPulse every 90 seconds and a slower/lower speed.

The alternating code part is setting the channel to be Sync or AntiSync.

Code: Select all

void loop()
{
    ReefAngel.StandardHeater(Port3);

ReefAngel.DCPump.DaylightChannel = Sync;
    ReefAngel.DCPump.ActinicChannel = AntiSync;

/*
    Night mode - use alternate memory locations
    Day mode - default memory locations
    */
    if ( isNightTime() ) {
        // force in either Constant mode or Long Pulse mode
        // use the nighttime memory locations
        ReefAngel.DCPump.UseMemory = false;
        ReefAngel.DCPump.Mode = DCPumpNightMode_read();
        ReefAngel.DCPump.Speed = DCPumpNightSpeed_read();
        ReefAngel.DCPump.Duration = DCPumpNightDuration_read();
        ReefAngel.DCPump.Threshold = DCPumpNightThreshold_read();
    } else {
        // use default memory values for the modes
        ReefAngel.DCPump.UseMemory = true;
    }

ReefAngel.ShowInterface();
}
So, if you are using the ReefCrest mode, you should be able to use the Internal Memory and simply add the Sync / AntiSync lines above and not have to do anything further. It could be as simple as this:

Code: Select all

void loop()
{
    // ... other stuff here

ReefAngel.DCPump.DaylightChannel = Sync;
    ReefAngel.DCPump.ActinicChannel = AntiSync;
    // use default memory values for the modes
    ReefAngel.DCPump.UseMemory = true;

// ... other stuff here
    ReefAngel.ShowInterface();
}
This should alternate the pumps on the different channels and you should be good to go. No more having to change the directions/settings based on the time. It should all be handled inside the libraries for you.
saf1

Post by saf1 »

@binder - thanks! I'll take a look at it today and give it a try. I'm finding two RW4's in the 40 breeder can be a bit much at times and the rose bubble tips start to wonder around looking for a calmer area. I have been trying to find a decent power setting but once I think I have it the wave pattern(s) seem to align and it becomes too much. Thus seeing if I can have one off or lower than the other.

Interesting enough I also have a Maxspect Gyre XF230 for my 240 gallon tank that is almost setup. Hope to move it into the house this weekend. How do you like it?

Thanks again. Will take the code and try it out. Have a good day.
binder

Post by binder »

saf1 wrote:
Interesting enough I also have a Maxspect Gyre XF230 for my 240 gallon tank that is almost setup. Hope to move it into the house this weekend. How do you like it?
i like my gyres. they move a lot of water. i will say that there are only a few of the modes that work with the gyre. the longpulse does. although you use those gyres to just simply move the water around the tank.
i only run mine at about 50% or so because i have a 75g tank. too much flow causes the mantle on my clam to fold over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk