Local Network Access

Loose

Local Network Access

Post by Loose »

I have a RA Star controller. Using the the built in wired Ethernet, I can browse to the controller, but all I get is "Reef Angel Controller Web Server" and a blank page. What am I doing wrong?
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something... Thomas Huxley
210gal DT | 50gal sump/refug | Jebao DCP 10000 pump | RO 200-int skimmer | DIY built stand | DIY 160 led, 12 channel, 458 watt, on MakersLED 72" heatsink
rimai

Re: Local Network Access

Post by rimai »

Browse http://ipaddress:2000/wifi
But, if you have the RA*, you will be better off using the cloud server with the uapp.
It will stream data instead of having to refresh all the time.
Go to http://forum.reefangel.com/uapp and add a controller. Just make sure to enter only the cloud username and password. You do not need the ip address and port.
Roberto.
Loose

Post by Loose »

Thanks Roberto, both of those methods worked are useful. Is there a way I can assign a static IP address to the controller?
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something... Thomas Huxley
210gal DT | 50gal sump/refug | Jebao DCP 10000 pump | RO 200-int skimmer | DIY built stand | DIY 160 led, 12 channel, 458 watt, on MakersLED 72" heatsink
rimai

Post by rimai »

You will need to do that through your router.
Reserve IP by Mac adress
Roberto.
Sellelg

Post by Sellelg »

I am having the same issue. I have configuredd a static IP address. How do I configure that address into the controller? The status of my star is: cloud connection: Disconnected, IP Address:0.0.0.0
binder

Post by binder »

If you reserve a static IP by MAC address, the controller will get it automatically when it queries the router/dhcp server for an IP address. So somewhere in your router's setup page, there will be a DHCP server page and you will have the option to assign static IP's based on MAC addresses. That's where you will configure the IP address for the Star.
Sellelg

Post by Sellelg »

Great, thanks for the response. So I understand from what you are saying is that DHCP is the only method for address assignment. OK. Would there really be any reason then for having a dedicated address, e.g. phone app or other two way control applications? I like the android app but logic tells me that the controller would need to be two way addressable for the setting commands to work like feeding mode and clearing alarms. Any thoughts? Also, if I were to simulate a static address by holding a DHCP lease by MAC address, do you know how I could get the MAC address from the controller?
binder

Post by binder »

Sellelg wrote:Would there really be any reason then for having a dedicated address, e.g. phone app or other two way control applications? I like the android app but logic tells me that the controller would need to be two way addressable for the setting commands to work like feeding mode and clearing alarms. Any thoughts?
Correct. If you are going to use the apps to control it, you would want a static IP address for it. This is also required if you are going to allow it to be controlled remotely. Your firewall/router has to know what IP address to send the data that comes from the WAN (internet). If the internal IP address changes, then the firewall/router wouldn't know where to send the data that comes back in.

Now, I believe that with the RA Star, the use of the MQTT protocol avoids the need for having a port opened on the firewall and the need for a static IP address for controlling it. However, with that being said, my android app does not support that feature/functionality currently.
Also, if I were to simulate a static address by holding a DHCP lease by MAC address, do you know how I could get the MAC address from the controller?
To get the MAC address, you would need to look at the current DHCP leases. That will tell you what it is.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Correct. RA* has the capability of connecting to the cloud server, so there is no need for any setup on router. Simply use the web based Uapp.
Roberto.
Sellelg

Post by Sellelg »

Great, thanks for the info. I will get on this this weekend and get it reporting