OLD head unit ok to use now?

New members questions
Cariba

OLD head unit ok to use now?

Post by Cariba »

Hello all,
This is a question for either Roberto or anyone...

I purchased RA unit back in 2011 (and more hardware, early expansion hub, wifi extension, etc)
I never set it up, and recently plan to start to use it.

I am wondering if the old unit is compatible with the current wizard, libraries etc. as my unit is not a plus or a star model.

I am using it for very basic functions (as its it for a terrarium not a reef tank), and will only need temp control a heat lamp, (thermostat function), controller for DIY Led light (thats last phase of this build), and low level water float switch input to turn on a water pump, relay on/off, and wifi control (not cloud)/web/cell monitoring. .

Also, Roberto, when I purchased this unit and rest of hardware, you had sent me this (see attached) small custom connector for temp sensors I believe, I think (I may be wrong) it was to boost the temp sensor signal as one of my sensor wires was extended 30', is that correct? IF so, and I do not plan to use 30' cable I do not need it correct?

Thanks all in advance,

Omar
Attachments
20200313_151423-R2.jpg
20200313_151423-R2.jpg (305.14 KiB) Viewed 7851 times
rimai

Re: OLD head unit ok to use now?

Post by rimai »

Yes, it is compatible, but the wifi piece will not work.
It will increase the code size too much and it won't fit in the original RA.
You do not need to use the adapter.
Roberto.
Cariba

Post by Cariba »

Hello Roberto, thanks for quick reply.

The wifi attachment I have was purchased at same time as the old unit, you think it will not work? I do not recall there being any issues at time of purchase...?

That adapter was for what?

Thanks,
rimai

Post by rimai »

The libraries on the web wizard have advanced so much that fitting the wifi piece would make your code too big for the standard RA.
The only way for this to work on the standard RA is to use an old library and the Arduino IDE.
All the releases are here: https://github.com/reefangel/Libraries/releases
Roberto.
Cariba

Post by Cariba »

Ok I understand,
I noticed you sell replacement circuit board for the PLUS controller, could I not purchase that and replace my old one?
Do you have any available?

Thanks again,
Cariba

Post by Cariba »

Otherwise, I would use as is and not have wifi capabilities correct? and still be able to use main unit with rest of items and current wizard etc.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, you can use the standard RA without the wifi just fine.
Or get the plus board on the webstore and you can do it all. I do have them in stock.
Roberto.
Cariba

Post by Cariba »

Roberto,
I'm about to put in an order for the plus board, to replace my old one...I presume there is minimal solder if any required to replace? Or more complicated than that? Also, I wanted to know if I can use one of my dimming light channels to use with with your lunar light? The lunar hub is needed when only want to add more than one strip to one channel correct? How long is the lunar light wires, that connect to the outputs? They can simply be extended as needed right? The lunar lights can be dimmed between 0 and 100 percent correct? Thanks in advance!
rimai

Post by rimai »

No soldering required. Just swap board.
Yes, you can connect the lunar module directly. You can extend as needed. They do dim from 0 to 100%.
Don't forget to get the dimming port lead wire too if you don't have.
Roberto.
Cariba

Post by Cariba »

Your quick replies are much appreciated, I'm sorry but can you explain a bit further on the lead wire comment, is there more info on this on the manual? When you say "get", do toy mean buy? (I'll check ur site now, but I dont recall u selling that) Much appreciated.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, I mean buy.
We have the dimming port lead wire on the webstore.
The lunar module comes with bare wires. If you want to connect to the relay box, you either make your own or buy one from the webstore.
Roberto.
Cariba

Post by Cariba »

Hi, couple more final questions:
-What is the length of the lead wire? I may need longer that I presume it is, is that possible or an extension be purchased?

-Do you have the humidity module? I do not see it listed in the order selection page.

-do you recommend any dimmable drivers that are for small diy led set ups? My application (terrium) does not need too many leds, especially various colors (I.e royal etc) , and I was looking for smaller dimmable options that each channel would have 3 to 5 leds only, I think rapid led has a nano driver, that's is compatible with RA correct?
Or am I mistaken about being able to use the normal drivers and combining all leda with one (maybe two normal drivers) with all different colours on few channels?

Sorry it's been a while I need to look into this again.

Thanks again.
rimai

Post by rimai »

The lead wire is short, but you can extend it with any wire you have laying around.
I still have Humidity. PM me about that.
Any dimmable LED driver that accepts PWM or analog signal would work.
Roberto.
Cariba

Post by Cariba »

Re: lead wire, yes I get it cause the leds have bare wire, and the one end of lead wire connector is bare wire too, so in between goes longer wire ok, I get it.