Android Reef Angel Status

Community contributed apps
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:How about the countdown reported in the status. Only feed mode has a countdown.

<mode>X</mode>

0 = default
1-FeedTimer = Feed Mode
-1 = WC
-2 = Menu
that could work. i will have to look over the code this weekend and see how it would work.
phrusher

Re: Android Reef Angel Status

Post by phrusher »

What about sending the name of the mode instead of a constant? It's not much extra data and the benefit is we don't have to keep the RA library in sync with any device requesting data? For example, if some mode is added to the RA and is set on the controller then the device requesting mode is unable to display the name of the mode. Downside is of course that it would be more difficult to parse.

Would it work to add the feeder time as an attribute? Kind of <mode value="273">Food time</mode> As far as I'm concerned it doesn't have to be very accurate. Just enough to get a rough estimation when glancing at the device.

Or perhaps <mode time="273" name="Food time">x</mode> so we get both name and a constant? A bit redundant but with some benefits.
binder

Post by binder »

phrusher wrote:What about sending the name of the mode instead of a constant? It's not much extra data and the benefit is we don't have to keep the RA library in sync with any device requesting data? For example, if some mode is added to the RA and is set on the controller then the device requesting mode is unable to display the name of the mode. Downside is of course that it would be more difficult to parse.

Would it work to add the feeder time as an attribute? Kind of <mode value="273">Food time</mode> As far as I'm concerned it doesn't have to be very accurate. Just enough to get a rough estimation when glancing at the device.

Or perhaps <mode time="273" name="Food time">x</mode> so we get both name and a constant? A bit redundant but with some benefits.
a problem though is that makes the code size increase a lot more because the controller has to store the strings and generate the xml data. we keep things simple for this reason. sending out a number for the mode us simpler and how other stuff is done. this requires the apps getting the data to know the values. plus storing the data on the portal will be better with a number....takes up less database space which is good.
i love the thoughts and ideas though....all input is welcomed. :-)
rimai

Post by rimai »

If this gets patched, we should use DisplayedMenu variable to represent the x in the example above.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:If this gets patched, we should use DisplayedMenu variable to represent the x in the example above.
absolutely. ive already thought about that. im gonna work on an idea for how it can work. ill see if i can get something down and working.
phrusher

Post by phrusher »

binder wrote:a problem though is that makes the code size increase a lot more because the controller has to store the strings and generate the xml data.)
I totally understand that there are memory restrictions to consider but aren't most data already stored and available in the controller? Would it be a significant increase in size?

We have current menu id: DisplayedMenu
name: FEEDING_LABEL, WATER_CHANGE_LABEL (although they are currently in an not active define)
and time: Timer[FEEDING_TIMER].Trigger - now()

Just missing a little logic to generate the XML :)
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Those labels are defines and turn into a number. With 32k RAs out there, memory is a huge consideration.
phrusher

Post by phrusher »

lnevo wrote:Those labels are defines and turn into a number. With 32k RAs out there, memory is a huge consideration.
Really? They look like char arrays to me.

Code: Select all

prog_char FEEDING_LABEL[] PROGMEM = "Feeding Mode";
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yeah those are just the menu labels and dont have much to do with the actual variables...the label could get reused, but you'd still need to link it to the mode which would add mote complexity.
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

Can you turn the display into links that when clicked automaTically take you to the memory location? For example on my pwm expansion hub screen.I just touch channel 0 and it takes me to the memory screen to change the end percent?
binder

Post by binder »

pandimus wrote:Can you turn the display into links that when clicked automaTically take you to the memory location? For example on my pwm expansion hub screen.I just touch channel 0 and it takes me to the memory screen to change the end percent?
Even better idea....there's a new override command/option in the libraries (that may or may not be released yet) that allows for override values. When I get it implemented, you can touch the channel / value / percentage and it will bring up a window to allow you to change the value right there without having to leave the screen. There still has to be other testing and functionality added into the app first, but that will be the end result.

I'm currently working on notifications....so when a parameter is out of a range that you define, you will be notified about it in the notification drawer (like the portal sending you alerts).
modulok

Post by modulok »

What happened to the set time and date area? Did it get removed or am I missing it?

Sent from my mobile communication device
binder

Post by binder »

modulok wrote:What happened to the set time and date area? Did it get removed or am I missing it?

Sent from my mobile communication device
It's still there. It was moved around a little. If you goto the "three dots" for the menu, and choose "Commands". You will see the Date/Time page there. I just haven't found a good place for it to reside permanently. Sorry for any confusion. I'm working on finding a "good home" for it still. Hopefully it will still stay there or it may get it's own menu item....still undecided and it will depend on other things with the app.
binder

Post by binder »

I've been busy over the last week. I've been working on improving the whole Notification process in the app. It's still not perfected but it's getting close. I decided to make use of the JellyBean style of large notifications. :)
I also have decided that we need a way to monitor our parameters and have our phone notify us if something isn't working right. I personally do not have my controller send data to the portal (no specific reason, I just do not). So my phone is the only way that I monitor my tank. Adding in user defined notifications based on a specific set of parameters.
The set is as follows:
  • Standard controller parameters (all that are available on the Controller screen in the app)
  • AI
  • Vortech
  • PWM Expansion
  • Radion
  • IO Expansion
  • Custom Variables
The nice thing is that these are coded like you would code in the portal. I have not added in the nice user-friendly displaying for some of the items (like Vortech). This could be added later on though.

There's still more changes that have to be made with how the system processes the errors and I need to improve the look of the notification because I'm not happy with how it looks now that I'm adding in other things besides Errors.
I will keep everybody posted on the progress. Just thought I'd give people a heads up though. :geek:
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

Sweet!
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

Junior Dabul

Post by Junior Dabul »

hi....my Android reef angel is working but it on different time then run on daily basis....does it get the time from portal...it looks is on USA time and Im in Australia time

any idea why?
binder

Post by binder »

Junior Dabul wrote:hi....my Android reef angel is working but it on different time then run on daily basis....does it get the time from portal...it looks is on USA time and Im in Australia time

any idea why?
if you get the data from the portal, it displays the values it retrieves from the portal. if you are getting data directly from the controller, the app just uses the default time format from your phone.

so, if it's displaying the wrong data, then you should check the controller and make sure it is set properly. if you goto the settings menu and choose commands. then choose date and time tab. once there, check the date and time on the controller and update if needed.
binder

Post by binder »

Adding to my last post, I've got the Notifications working. I still have to do some testing before I release a new version, but wanted to give you a teaser (or 2)....
ParameterNotifications.png
ParameterNotifications.png (20.11 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
ParameterNotificationAdd.png
ParameterNotificationAdd.png (24.96 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
As you can see, there's the list of notifications and you can easily Add, Update or Delete them. I've only shown the Add dialog. If you "click" on the notification in the list, it brings up the same window that allows you to Update or Delete the notification. You can also easily delete All notifications with the trash can icon in the actionbar.

Lastly, the Enabled checkbox at the top of the window enables the notifications. Notifications for the app must be enabled (errors and notifications). I've added the checkbox here so you can quickly and easily enable / disable without having to goto the settings page. Like I said, if you disable the Notifications, then you disable ALL notifications (errors and parameters). If you don't want any parameter notifications, just simply delete all of your rules and you will be set.

I have been testing things so far and everything is working as expected. I want/need to improve the layouts for larger devices (aka Tablets) before I release the update. I've added a few other things that will benefit from a better tablet layout. Yes, I have a Nexus 7 and I do agree that the large screen improvements are needed which is why I'm adding some of them before this release even though it looks pretty good on a Galaxy Nexus running JB 4.2.2 and a Galaxy S running GB 2.3.7.
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

Awesome!

Does it spit the same notification tone as the "update fail" tone? Even with the double check before alert function you put in on the earlier version my phone still at least once or twice a day alerts me to an update fail. In all honesty I have learned to completely filter that notification tone out of my head when I hear it and just ignore it. Is there an ability to set the "Holy crap something is really wrong" tone to be different so i will actually take notice when it happens. It would be awesome if it could actually ring my phone like an incoming call when a parameter is noted "out of range". You know something I have to shut off or acknowledge for it to shut up :) Like a timer alarm, phone ring etc.

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

binder

Post by binder »

00Warpig00 wrote:Awesome!

Does it spit the same notification tone as the "update fail" tone? Even with the double check before alert function you put in on the earlier version my phone still at least once or twice a day alerts me to an update fail. In all honesty I have learned to completely filter that notification tone out of my head when I hear it and just ignore it. Is there an ability to set the "Holy crap something is really wrong" tone to be different so i will actually take notice when it happens. It would be awesome if it could actually ring my phone like an incoming call when a parameter is noted "out of range". You know something I have to shut off or acknowledge for it to shut up :) Like a timer alarm, phone ring etc.

Nick
Currently, with how I have it coded, it's all grouped together under the same tone. I thought about separating things out but did not. I was going to have 1 notification for errors and 1 for parameter notifications but went with the simpler route to get it going. Now that I have it implemented and working, I can switch things around to allow for greater customization. There still will be a general/global enable/disable of all notifications because it's important to not display them if you don't want them at all.

What I plan on doing is now migrating the current error retry notification to be the error notification and then add in a parameter notification ringtone option. I think I will also give an option to keep all notifications together or to separate out parameter notifications from error notifications. So in your case you can have things separated out for your communication error tone (you could even make it silent if you wanted) and your "oh sh*t, something's wrong" tone. I think I will look into other some other persistent notifications in the future...like an alarm clock. :) we shall see what I come up with. And for those people who don't care and want the same tone for all errors, they can keep them separated. Options / Choices.....gotta love them :)

I also cleaned up the error retry code and fixed a bug with it that may improve your notification issue. The error retry code wasn't working properly if the app was closed and now I have fixed that issue so it will actually work like it is supposed to. Who knows, it may improve or you may still be in the same boat. :?: I just know that I've improved and simplified the code logic and that should help.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Looks like a lot of things happening with the app.
I can't wait to get my new phone this weekend.
Any suggestion on a good Andriod phone.
I'm probably going with AT&T because of the family plan.
Don't want to pay a lot for the phone.
Leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate or the LG Escape.
binder

Post by binder »

no definite input on the type of phone. i would suggest getting one with android 4.0 or later (ice cream sandwich or jelly bean) so you can take advantage of all the latest graphical improvements.

i personally have a galaxy nexus on verizon.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Yeah, the 2 that I mentioned above are Jellybean and Ice Cream Sandwich.
I think the LG is Android™ v4.1 (Jelly Bean) and the Galaxy is Android™ v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

I prefer Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. :)
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I got my new phone today and installed the Reef Angel app.
It's great.

Is there anyway to modify or add to the commands on the first panel?

I'm guessing because of the nature of the beast that there isn't an easy way to do it or at least for the end user to do it.

Thanks.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

When I turn a relay on or off from the app and then try to return it to the previous position it won't go to Auto it only goes to on or Off.

How do you set it back to Auto from the App?
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Tap the green circle.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Thanks Colin, that did it. I'm sure there had to have been away.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Bug Report:
Expansion box 2 does not show up if "Auto Update Modules" is selected.
Uncheck it and manually enabling 2 expansion relay modules forces it to show though.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Bug Report:
Expansion box 2 does not show up if "Auto Update Modules" is selected.
Uncheck it and manually enabling 2 expansion relay modules forces it to show though.
Does expansion box 1 show up if "auto update modules" is selected?
rimai

Post by rimai »

yes
Roberto.