LEDs flashing on and off

New members questions
budhaboy

LEDs flashing on and off

Post by budhaboy »

maybe I should put this in the newbie section:
errr, I've been wiring up my DIY LEDs from Rapidled and as I got the first bank done, I wanted to test fire the leds to be sure there were no bad connections - I hooked up the Dimmers to the two ports on the Relay Box, turned on the system and now the LEDs are turning on and off - any reason why? I havent changed the default programming, other than play with the brightness levels. Have I done something wrong? is the default programming set to flash on and off like this?

before putting all this together I made sure I had the proper "P" meanwell drivers for this.
billybob

Re: LEDs flashing on and off

Post by billybob »

I saw this happen once as a result of a voltage mismatch between the LED driver and the LED string.

In my case, I was trying to drive a string of 4 CREE XM-L LEDs in series using a Meanwell ELN60-27p, all also from RapidLED. The 60-27 is a constant-current driver with a working voltage range from 13.5-27 V, so at the low-voltage threshold of 13.5 V I was nominally inducing a 3.375V voltage drop across each of my 4 LEDs. However, the working current/voltage range for the XM-L LED is 0-3A over about 2.65-3.35V, so I was either effectively overdriving my LEDs at the lowest voltage setting on the driver, or underdriving the driver at the highest voltage capacity of the LEDs. Whatever it was, the result was a flashing of the LED string unrelated to the PWM setting on the reef angel.

What driver and LEDs are you using, and how is your string configured?