Development software for Linux

New members questions
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

Hi,
I'm interested in purchasing some of these controllers for my fish farm. However, we only run Linux computers. Is the 'Reef Angel development software suite' available for Linux?
Thank you,
Scott Tomko
rimai

Re: Development software for Linux

Post by rimai »

Yes, Curt uses it on Linux and so does some other users :)
I don't have an installer package for it, so you will need to manually place the files in the correct path, that's all.
Roberto.
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

Thank you for the quick reply. I will search the forum a bit to see if I can find directions on how to do that, and report back with either success or questions.
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

Curt / binder (or other Linux users),
Could you post directions on how to install the Development Software on Ubuntu? I run Linux because I know it's good, but I do not know anything about how to do anything fancy with it. If you could take that into consideration that would be very helpful. Thank you in advance,
Scott
binder

Post by binder »

ScottT wrote:Curt / binder (or other Linux users),
Could you post directions on how to install the Development Software on Ubuntu? I run Linux because I know it's good, but I do not know anything about how to do anything fancy with it. If you could take that into consideration that would be very helpful. Thank you in advance,
Scott
Yeah, no problem. I also run Ubuntu. Let me get a few things squared away and I'll post back something for you. Most everything is the same except you can't just use the Installer package.
The main thing you need to do is to download the software from the arduino website. Once it's downloaded, there will be a couple small changes to make.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

I will post the changes later when I have some time to write it up for you.
agentgreen

Post by agentgreen »

Sweet! I just put Debian on my laptop and was looking for this exact thing.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I don't remember the steps I did...but it was fairly straight forward getting setup on Ubuntu. I'm a UNIX admin, so maybe I can help getting an install shell script created...especially if curt can refresh me on the steps :)
fatman

Post by fatman »

Following this one too. My main laptop is Ubuntu and I've made it dual boot with Windows to run the Reef Angel stuff. Getting rid of Windows would open a lot of space on my drive.
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

Thanks for all the responces everyone, you've got me really excited. I think this is the only reef-controller you can actually use with Linux.

Inevo, having an install shell script would be great! I think there are a bunch of people like me who don't know how to install a program without it being a few flicks. It could open up posibilities. Love it!
binder

Post by binder »

I'm looking into making an ubuntu package for simple installation of the software. Not sure if it will be possible or not. Worst case scenario, I just create a tarball (.tgz or .tar.gz) of the package and then an installation script that runs and installs the libraries in the correct spots for you. I have to look into this further though, so stay tuned for more information about this.

If you need the specifics on installing things manually, I will add another post with the instructions.
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

That is exciting news Curt.
I am anxious to try and install it manually with directions.
Our R&D guy gave me the go-ahead to purchase a RA with the stipulation that I get the development software to run on Linux first.

I did get the Arduino IDE(0022) software installed today from the Software Center, and then donwloaded Arduino 1.0.1 from Arduino.cc . Although I wasn't exactally sure what to do with the downloade version.
agentgreen

Post by agentgreen »

ScottT wrote:That is exciting news Curt.
I am anxious to try and install it manually with directions.
Our R&D guy gave me the go-ahead to purchase a RA with the stipulation that I get the development software to run on Linux first.

I did get the Arduino IDE(0022) software installed today from the Software Center, and then donwloaded Arduino 1.0.1 from Arduino.cc . Although I wasn't exactally sure what to do with the downloade version.
If you grabbed the same tarball as me, decompress the archive and there should be a binary named 'arduino'. Just run this.
binder

Post by binder »

agentgreen wrote: If you grabbed the same tarball as me, decompress the archive and there should be a binary named 'arduino'. Just run this.
If you do this, you will not have the wizard and the devices listed will be the arduino names and not the RA, RA w/ Optiboot, RA+, etc. The software will still work just fine though (as you are well aware).
agentgreen

Post by agentgreen »

binder wrote:
agentgreen wrote: If you grabbed the same tarball as me, decompress the archive and there should be a binary named 'arduino'. Just run this.
If you do this, you will not have the wizard and the devices listed will be the arduino names and not the RA, RA w/ Optiboot, RA+, etc. The software will still work just fine though (as you are well aware).

I did notice that. I took a quick look on my Windows box to see if may be there was just some files I needed to copy over, but nothing was readily apparent.

Looking forward to more details.
binder

Post by binder »

I did a separate write up for this.

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1846
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

Thank you Curt! I'm going to try installing it tomorrow afternoon.

Edit: March 18th, 2013:
I finally got a Reef Angel and used these Linux directions/files, and it works perfectly. Thank you! I did use windows to setup the wifi, just because I was having trouble.