Lost connection and wifi does not work

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

Hi,

The wifi was working great all week but today it stopped working. Is the wifi module defective? I reinstalled the wifi and now it went from ip address 103 to 100 so I have assigned the ip 100 to my router port forwaring, but I still cannot connect. The wifi attachment show the normal green light slowly blinking.

I have tried restarting the router but that did not help. What's going on?

Is there a way to assign a fixed IP to this wifi attachment? so that I won't have this problem once a connection is set to lets say ip .100 the router will not reassign the wifi module to 102 or something else?

I have set my computer to a fixed IP address and assigned this to my router so that my webcam will always be at .107, but how can I do this with the wifi attachment? I see no way of doing this.

In any case, now the wifi is not working anylonger, despite that the router is assigned to its new IP which is .100.

what did I miss?
daniella3d

Re: Lost connection and wifi does not work

Post by daniella3d »

I did a few more test, restarted the router, computer etc.. the wifi module still does not work.

It's not my router for sure because my web cam is working well, computer has access to the router and the internet as well, so it seem to point to the wifi attachment itself. I guess it is defective? and what do I do with it? The connection cable seem a little bit lose, is that a problem?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Can you ping it?
Did you try reconfiguring it?
Roberto.
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

wow this is very wierd. I can see "unreachable adress" in the web portal yet I can see the temperature and PH is updating, how can that be?

I cannot get the Iphone app to display the setting, neither the web server of the Reef Angel work, but the Web Portal display the correct value so it must receive something from the controller.

Do you have a logical explanation for this?

I am lost.

I reconfigured the router, the wifi, and did everything I could think of. I shut down all computer, assigned a static IP to my computers so that they would not interfere with the wifi of the reef angel. Dunno what to do next.

It is obviously connecting to your site web portal, although it still say "unreachable" I can see the value of my Reef Angel temperature being updated to reflect the correct value, but I don't have access to any control as the site says I don't have a connection.

Connection Status: Unreachable Address

Last Update: December-08-12 9:53:58 PM

??
rimai

Post by rimai »

sending is different than receiving...
The controller is probably sending because it doesn't need any port forwarding nor the router blocks outgoing connections.
That's why you are seeing the controller sending data just fine.
Now, to connect to the controller, you have to make sure your router is configured properly.
Did you try using the internal ip address on your iphone to see if you can connect?
Roberto.
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

I just tried 192.168.1.100 and the port is set to 2000, and yes it did work with this address. so it is my router the problem then I guess :(
AquaO

Post by AquaO »

Hi Danielle,
I had the same problem before I break my controller, one of my friend was supposed to help me but he did not have time...

That was why my banner does not refreshed on ReefAction.

But I do not try with my iPhone iP address.

Should see.
Last edited by AquaO on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Osaka 40g with 55g sump
Radion, 2X Tunze 6045, Swc-160 mini cone
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

I don,t have any problem to connect and to control the controller using the internal IP 192.168.1.100 on my Iphone, so the WIFI module is working properly. Problem is in my router...not sure why. It was working great all week but when the router updated the IP addresses it somehow got messed up, switched the IP of the WIFI to 100 instead of 103, so I had to re-install the wifi module and forwared the router to the IP 100 instead, but that did not help.

I think I am going to ditch that router and replace it with something better.

I can turn ON or OFF any of the relay port now using the internal IP address, I just cannot do this from the outside of the network.
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

Ok problem solved. I did the last thing I could think of and I had not tried, doing a hard reset on the router and starting over. Now it's working so the proof is that it was the router.

Next time this will happen I will know what to do right away. I will replace that router so this type of problem does not occur when I am away and need control.

thanks for the help Roberto, giving me the hint on trying the internal IP really was helpfull!

Have a nice weekend and do take some rest from this forum! wow, saturday night still at work.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Don't you know that Roberto never stops working.... :)
rimai

Post by rimai »

:geek:
Roberto.
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

daniella3d wrote:Ok problem solved. I did the last thing I could think of and I had not tried, doing a hard reset on the router and starting over. Now it's working so the proof is that it was the router.

Next time this will happen I will know what to do right away. I will replace that router so this type of problem does not occur when I am away and need control.

thanks for the help Roberto, giving me the hint on trying the internal IP really was helpfull!

Have a nice weekend and do take some rest from this forum! wow, saturday night still at work.
It would be helpful for you when you replace your router to get one that supports DHCP Lease reservations. This way you tell the router whenever you see a specific hardware mac address from a network card to assign it to a specific IP address on your internal network. An effective method to assign a static IP address, if you will, to any network adapter using DHCP resolution.

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

I will surely do that. I really don't want to buy something that does not have a way to assign static IP.

hmmm...how to find out the mac address of the wifi attachment?
00Warpig00 wrote:It would be helpful for you when you replace your router to get one that supports DHCP Lease reservations. This way you tell the router whenever you see a specific hardware mac address from a network card to assign it to a specific IP address on your internal network. An effective method to assign a static IP address, if you will, to any network adapter using DHCP resolution.

Nick