Did someone say iPhone app?

Community contributed apps
binder

Re: Did someone say iPhone app?

Post by binder »

Ordered my apple developer account. waiting for the confirmation and how to upload apps to the store.
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

So are you saying were close to having a new iPhone app?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I would say closer than yesterday :)
rimai

Post by rimai »

Cool!!
Roberto.
805reefer

Post by 805reefer »

Sounds good guys can't wait
Poiromaniax

Post by Poiromaniax »

For those interested, I found an intro course to iOS development. The Stanford one assumes you already know basic C language.

It's on iTunes U under RWTH-Aachen, iPhone application programming (iphone12)
binder

Post by binder »

just activated my apple developer account. i still have to read up on how to distribute apps but we are closer now. just have to wait for an updated version and a few changes, then release a new iphone app.

Sent from my iPad mini
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Curt,

I dont' know how long it will take me to update my 3rd relay bar fix, but I can at least push the changes to the front page to not show variables that don't exist... I'll work on a push request for you.

I'm going to have to sign up for a dev account myself as well, I found a method that would allow me to develop while I'm on the train :) which would definitely be more wife friendly than sneaking downstairs :)
binder

Post by binder »

well you only need a developer account if you are going to publish on the app store. i did this just so we can have a somewhat consistent release and to help out. so you wont need an account for the ra stuff unless you really want to pay the $100 annul fee.

Sent from my iPad mini
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You need an account if you want to install your dev copy
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:You need an account if you want to install your dev copy
oh yeah....forgot about that aspect

Sent from my iPad mini
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I found a "bundle" of scripts called XCAB that automates a git pul then builds on your desktop and sends you a link to install on your iOS device. We'll see how convoluted its gonna be, but its like my only dev time
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

So, I've tested my additional relay bar against a controller with only one expansion relay bar and a controller with 2 expansion relays.

Would anyone care if the app displayed both relay expansion relay bars if you had an expansion? I'm contemplating just pushing the change, but unfortunately the function that sets the hidden/unhidden aspect of the relay bars does not know at that point what relay bars exist so it's tough and I don't want to add a setting "How many relay expansions" do you have because it should be able to figure it out...

So I'm looking for opinions... I'm probably the only one with 2 expansion relays using the iPhone app because I've never heard anyone else complain..
rimai

Post by rimai »

Oh, just read the REM xml tag.
That will contain the value of which expansion boxes are enabled :)
So, if you had expansion 1 and 2, the value would be 3.
Technically, you can even have for example 9, which would be expansion 1 and 4 enabled.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yes, exactly what I was planning...

The problem is how the app is written, at the point where it is hiding / displaying the buttons it does not have access to the r99 data with that info. Trying to figure out how to get that data loaded or if I can hide them later on...

It seems very cobbled together this app. Not to offend any of the authors, but trying to make heads and tails when you don't fully understand Objective C is a real headache at the moment.

And now somehow my 3rd relay code got merged with the fixes I made to the front page, so I can't even make a pull request to curt without including the addition of the 3rd relay bar. :(
binder

Post by binder »

if you want to start from scratch with the app, you are more than welcome to do that. when Dave created it, he was just learning how to do objective c. so it probably is not well written. then john released it and added a few things, so he probably just kept it as is and added more to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yeah, rewriting is not yet an option for me.... maybe after some time hacking I will learn enough... but for now it's deal with what we got...

In other news, I did get the REM values working... so now it detects properly and displays only the relay bars you have. Right now we're supporting up to the 3rd relay bar. I suggest that if we want to go further we convert it to use an appropriately size array :) and figure out a better way to display buttons.

I now have to see if I can do the same thing in the settings screen where you set the lables. I don't know if it is possible there yet... but as it is now, I can push this and not annoy everyone who doesn't have 3 relay bars :)
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

It doesn't look like the Settings (SecondViewControllerm.m) has any instance of the raParams so I won't be able to read REM and decide how many relay bars. So I'm going to go ahead and submit a pull request to curt. So if you have only have 2 relays the settings will show you the labels for all 3 bars. The 3rd bar will not be displayed in the Controls screen so it shouldn't be an issue.

Curt do you want to submit the pull request to your master copy, or do you have a dev branch? I only see master on github.

This is pretty good news :) I think. Next tasks are to see if we can add the PWM and WL values to the main screen, but it's going to be ugly because I have no way currently to reposition labels, so they will be static at the bottom where Salinity, Orp and the AI lables are. Unless I can find a better way...
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

OK... thanks to binder's awesome online development test boxes, I have been able to test all the different configurations and have added the following features:

PWMA / PWMD display on main screen
WL display on main screen
Hiding of values that are not present (WL, Salinity, Orp, AI)
Support for up to 3 relay bars (previously was only 2)

As soon as I hear how binder which branch to send the pull request to, I'll be sending that over :)
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:OK... thanks to binder's awesome online development test boxes, I have been able to test all the different configurations and have added the following features:

PWMA / PWMD display on main screen
WL display on main screen
Hiding of values that are not present (WL, Salinity, Orp, AI)
Support for up to 3 relay bars (previously was only 2)

As soon as I hear how binder which branch to send the pull request to, I'll be sending that over :)
you can do the request on the master branch. i haven't made any changes to the code beyond what was already there. I will need to update the icon to distinguish between this version and the other one. I won't be able to create the release until Sunday night though.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Cool... pull request is incoming!

FYI, I have not touched the HD version of the app... It is much more involved. Since it's two seperate apps, we can hold off on submitting that one... although let me see if any of what I've done is relevant :)
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Fixing the iPad version too...
Poiromaniax

Post by Poiromaniax »

Looking forward lnevo

N awesome feature would be to have the RF module options available instead of having to specify the mode with a number, could maybe use a dropdown list.

That will be one of the first changes I make when I have run through theses iTunes U courses.

I would love to be able to rewrite from the ground up, but my knowledge is severly limited at the moment
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I would have to say good luck :)

As of now, I don't even know if changing the mode from the app works... afaik all memory locations are Read-Only as I think even the function is commented out, but I can't be sure.

iPad version is going smoothly, it's mainly GUI changes, but there were a lot more fields being shown on the screen and making them all line up and fit is a challenge. But hiding and showing are working well now.

Time for adding the relays..
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Ok.

I now have the HD version in-line with the non-HD version. Lots of work, but luckily it was all stuff that I did already and the cool thing about is the code didn't have to change just the GUI elements.

Pretty cool developing in Xcode I must say, but there's definitely a lot of hurdles to jump through. Anyway, at least I'm at the point I can help to debug and add stuff.. :)
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

I use the internal memory write to trigger my feeder, so I think it works as it is now.

-Jon
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Cool, I've never had any luck with it... ever. Glad someone is. :)
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:Cool, I've never had any luck with it... ever. Glad someone is. :)
the memory is forced / confined to a byte value (mb). so those who use int values are left out using the custom locations.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I'm sure I've tested with variables that are int... even ones that are on the main screen like the RF ones... although those may never have been configured...

I'll try again :)
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yes, just tested again... tried changing RFmode, standard light on minutes, and a custom byte. I get Mem updated 3x and when I reload the same values are there. I checked directly on the controller and no change to the memory locations...