Did someone say iPhone app?

Community contributed apps
enigma32

Re: Did someone say iPhone app?

Post by enigma32 »

FYI, If things go how I hope with my wifi project, I'm hoping to move the management of all of that into a server, so that individual apps don't need to worry about the memory mapping at all (or the custom ones for a particular user). It would be centralized and a user's customizations would carry across to any device they used to access their RA controller.
Current setup:
60g 24" custom cube (fish and softies right now)
AI Sol Blue, Ecotech MP-10wES
Coralife skimmer
100% customer controller, transitioning to ReefAngel
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Ok, really disappointed. The iPhone app seems not to recognize more than one relay expansion. So my virtual outlets are not showing in my iPhone app! The portal sees it just fine which is great, but need my iphone app.

I might need to start learning Xcode...very intimidated by what Ive seen so far...

Curt what source do we have at this point and where can it be found.

Also, can anyone else with multiple relay expansions confirm this behavior?
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:Ok, really disappointed. The iPhone app seems not to recognize more than one relay expansion. So my virtual outlets are not showing in my iPhone app! The portal sees it just fine which is great, but need my iphone app.

I might need to start learning Xcode...very intimidated by what Ive seen so far...

Curt what source do we have at this point and where can it be found.

Also, can anyone else with multiple relay expansions confirm this behavior?
yes, the iPhone app does have expansion relay support but you need to swipe the screen up to see the ports at the bottom... kinda hard to find on your own.
Drew has been working on xcode some and I've looked at it as well. i found an online class on iTunesU from stanford on iPhone programming that I have been meaning to go through but have only gotten through 1 class.

the source that we have is in my github called RAiOS. drew sent me some changes that I have not pushed yet but hopefully will at the end of the weekend when I get home and back to my mac mini.
i think drew was also going to start looking into it more as well.
I would like to start getting the iPhone app to look more like my android app if possible but I know there will be differences. but I will say that the interface for it does need improvements in my opinion.

i am setting up my dev account this weekend so i can release a new version of the existing app. the current app will still persist and whatever i release will be a separate app in the store.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yeah the scrolling part is fine, i have one relay expansion, but now i enabled a second although it doesnt really exist. It is only showing me the main and first expansion. Even though i should have 3 total.
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:Yeah the scrolling part is fine, i have one relay expansion, but now i enabled a second although it doesnt really exist. It is only showing me the main and first expansion. Even though i should have 3 total.
ok. yeah, it only handles 1 expansion relay box. that expanding functionality had to be added.
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

So is anyone still working on a new iPhone app or improving the one that exists?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yes. I just started looking at the code and binder is as well but we could definitely use someone who know ios better :)
binder

Post by binder »

jjdezek wrote:So is anyone still working on a new iPhone app or improving the one that exists?
i am planning on setting up a dev account but have not had a chance yet due to my busy schedule. there will be a new app based off of the existing code base. there has been a small update to the code by drewpalmer but I have to get an account before I can release it.

like lnevo said, we don't know ios and would love to have someone help. we will take care of the dev fees by me releasing the app, but desperately need coding assistance due to our limitations. so feel free to help if you know how :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

I wish I knew how to code. I got curious and started looking and its not cheap to creat an app. I wouldn't mind learning this coding stuff though
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You dont need a dev account to help. Xcode is free and there is a simulator...

Theres a steep learning curve but it has direct integration with git.

The compiler is pretty nice but i definitely need a primer on this stuff :)
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

Where do I go. I'm willing to play. Currently unemployed so I have some time to play.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Start with going to github.com and sign up. Then go to http://github.com/curtbinder/RAiOSApp and click on fork.

Now you have your own repo. So now you download xcode. When you open it to make a new project directly from your forked repo.

Go ahead and click on project-> run to see it in the simulator..

Start tweaking :)
binder

Post by binder »

jjdezek wrote:I wish I knew how to code. I got curious and started looking and its not cheap to creat an app. I wouldn't mind learning this coding stuff though
like lnevo said, it's free to download and create apps. only you can run them on your devices and cannot distribute them.
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

So I can make my own app? That awesome
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I dont know if you can actually load it on a device without a dev account though...maybe I'm wrong
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Actually you may can sign up for a free developer account that you can probably use your own app but not distribute..
binder

Post by binder »

Yeah, I'm not positive either. I thought you could upload your own dev apps to your device without having an account but I may be wrong. You will have to look into that more to find out. It's just been a while since I looked at it that I cannot remember.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

My account is messed up. I used to have an enterprise dev account at my last job...before xcode was involved... :)

Now i cant log in properly.. :( i'll have to get that resolved.
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

It's not letting me get Xcode on the apple site
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You get it in the app store
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

Is it a program or instructions. Everything I'm finding is learning to Xcode no program
dbmet

Post by dbmet »

Its a program.. I just checked the app store on my Mac and its there.. Under Developer tools
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

I don't have a Mac, I searched the App Store on my phone and it only pulled up tutorials. I also went on iTunes and couldn't find it on there
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

I can find it on the Internet on the apple site but when I go to download it pulls up a review agreement and check box to continue so I check the box but the agree button doesn't activate
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

did some research and you have to have a mac computer to download and use the xcode. that is just like apple to do that. i hate how there so...whats the word...wrapped up in themselves, they dont integrate with pc everything in apple and apple only. so i guess i cant be any help since i dont have a mac
binder

Post by binder »

jjdezek wrote:did some research and you have to have a mac computer to download and use the xcode. that is just like apple to do that. i hate how there so...whats the word...wrapped up in themselves, they dont integrate with pc everything in apple and apple only. so i guess i cant be any help since i dont have a mac
yeah, you have to have a certain version of mac os as well to develop. yep, pretty annoying. fortunately for me, i have all the major oses at home (mac, linux, win).

that's ok you can't help, at least you checked up on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Poiromaniax

Post by Poiromaniax »

I've been looking around Xcode as well, but I have no frikking clue what's chopping there :/

I'm trying to find some online reading/training material regarding it,

Does anyone have a lynda account that they would let me use? I'm sure they have tutorials.....

All the good material is paid for, and I'm not willing to pay those prices just to fiddle around :/
binder

Post by binder »

Poiromaniax wrote:I've been looking around Xcode as well, but I have no frikking clue what's chopping there :/

I'm trying to find some online reading/training material regarding it,

Does anyone have a lynda account that they would let me use? I'm sure they have tutorials.....

All the good material is paid for, and I'm not willing to pay those prices just to fiddle around :/
If you have iTunesU, there's a free online class that appears to be pretty good offered by Stanford University. I've watched only the first couple lectures and it's not too bad. It's on iOS programming.
Poiromaniax

Post by Poiromaniax »

binder wrote: If you have iTunesU, there's a free online class that appears to be pretty good offered by Stanford University. I've watched only the first couple lectures and it's not too bad. It's on iOS programming.
Awesome, will take a look when I get a chance - thanks!
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Ok,

I've finally made some progress. I managed to get a 3rd relay bar working on the phone!!! I still have some work to do as I haven't finished creating the label entry for them and I'd like to troubleshoot why expansion relay labels don't load from the Portal properly, but all in all, it was a good day. I also need to code some logic so it doesn't show the 3rd relay if it doesn't exist.

The way the previous coding was written is very very bad. It relies on interface builder files which suck. In order to add more relay bars we actually have to create the window and add more buttons and all the varibles that go along side it. Instead of dynamically saying we have X number of relay bars so let's have an array of relays on each bar and cycle through all the relays and draw them. So currently I have 24 variables for each relay and each button and each label and each value and each mask on and each mask off and so forth...

Anyway, Drew, I also tried to add your code so it would be easy for Curt to add in and I could have your fixes which are pretty cool. The problem is your methodology sucked since you just reprogrammed Orp and Salinity to just show PWMA and PWMB :) So I'd actually like to look at a better way to do that. Sorry man... I really wanted to have your code in, plus it was too hard to merge with mine since you were using wolfador's code base.

I have my two branches published, but not ready for any pull requests yet so if anyone wants to add on to what I've done, or Drew if you want to give it another shot :)

http://github.com/lnevo/RAiOSapp