Second I/O adapter

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
rossbryant1956

Second I/O adapter

Post by rossbryant1956 »

I already have one I/O adpater and have now used all the ports. Is my best option, and can I do it, to order a second unit? Thx in advance.

Roscoe
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
rimai

Re: Second I/O adapter

Post by rimai »

It won't work :(
I may be possible to have a custom module built, but it won't show up in the portal.
Roberto.
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

Seems like I can get to the same place with the multiple water level expansion. That's what most of my I/O ports are doing anyway. How many ports does it support?

Thx

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
rimai

Post by rimai »

You can get up to 5 ports of water level measurements. 1 from the single channel and 4 from the multi-channel.
We may also be able to wire floats in series or parallel. Can you tell us or upload a sketch of what you are measuring?
If it is safety checks, you can combine them.
Roberto.
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

Two float valves are used for ATO units, programmed back to turn a pump on and off at certain times a day. The other three are set up as overfill switches should the drains on my main tanks clog (which has happened) and turns off the main pumps on the display tanks.

The problem I have is that sometimes the float valves controlling the ATO pumps will not turn off the pumps, causing these sumps to fill and spill. I wanted more I/O ports so I could have backup off-switches if a ATO pump did not turn off. But sounds like that is not be.

My thought now would to be purchase the multi-port water level and replace all the float valves doing ATO with this, then use those released float valves as my safety valves. While I do not need 4 inputs, I can see usage for about 3, so two singles wouldn't be enough.

Let me know if you see something I don't. I am planning a tank redesign this summer so trying to finalize my plans.

rimai

Post by rimai »

Well, you can't use two single channel water level modules either. So you would have to go with the multi channel if you go this route.
But, here is what you could also do: Connect several floats in parallel in the same I/O port. If any of them triggers, it will tell the controller that something went wrong. It won't tell you which one it was though. So, if you must know which float is the one that triggered, you need more I/O ports. If simply preventing a spill is what you are trying to get, then connecting in parallel should work for you too.
Roberto.
lnevo

Second I/O adapter

Post by lnevo »

Thats what i do with my two float switches... I dont care which causes the problem. If either high or low water level in my sump i shutdown return and skimmer. Both switches connected to my atohigh port.