Automatic lighting acclimation for MH

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
New2novas

Automatic lighting acclimation for MH

Post by New2novas »

I have to admit I spent zero time searching for this, but has anyone written already or how hard would it be to have some kind of acclimation mode to say ramp my lights 15 min every day over the course of a couple weeks or something. For when bulbs are changed or new corals added
lnevo

Re: Automatic lighting acclimation for MH

Post by lnevo »

I have this in my code. It's gotten pretty complex, but I do exactly that.

There are 3 memory variables that I use... one records the day of the acclimation period. It's a countdown. Every night at midnight, this number drops by 1 until it reaches 0. If I want a 10 day acclimation period, I set it to 10 and let it go.

The other two variables contain the offset for the rise time and set time. I used 4 minutes for the rise offset and 2 minutes for the set offset. What I do then is multiply those values by the acclimation day. So if we're on day 10..

4*10 = 40 minutes
2*10 = 20 minutes

Thus reducing my photoperiod by an hour. Each day as the acclimation day decrements the photoperiod is reduced by 6 minutes less so until it reaches 0 and then there is 0 minutes removed from the photoperiod.

You can look at the function SetSun() that I keep this code in. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help you out.