Waterfall due to ATO setup

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
paperdesk

Waterfall due to ATO setup

Post by paperdesk »

I set up the two float switches that came with the RA in an opposite configuration, one up and one down, as I understood to be one of the options indicated in the instructions. However, the ATO pump will not kick in till there is a very significant drop in water level (several inches), which in turn creates a mini waterfall in the last section of my sump. Did I do something wrong? The waterfall creates a lot of micro bubbles in the DT which I don't care for.

Do you use two float switches set up this way? I always envisioned using two float switches set up in such a way that one would be a safety, but in this setup the only safety backup is the ato override timer.

Ted
rimai

Re: Waterfall due to ATO setup

Post by rimai »

Use the SingleATO instead. It only uses only one of the float switches.
Roberto.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

paperdesk wrote:Do you use two float switches set up this way? I always envisioned using two float switches set up in such a way that one would be a safety, but in this setup the only safety backup is the ato override timer.
To do this, you need to wire your two float switches in series and use a single ATO port with the SingleATO function. It's a little redundant if you're using the override timer.

I've done this, but it seems like when my main float switch sticks, it sticks in the up position and doesn't fill at all until I clean it. I'm eyeing a water level sensor. :D

--Colin
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Thats one way to do it. You could also just have a check if the high ato is active/inactive to shut off the ATO pump.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

Ok I'll try the single sensor setup. I thought the dual setup was preferred, though i dont sees why. I guess I'm not actually worried about redundancy when I already have the timeout function as well as a 4 gallon supply to limit the possibility of flooding, but when I start to use kalk I will want to be sure it doesn't go crazy and employ 4 gallons of kalk into my sump somehow! Putting in the high a to check seems to makes sense to me. Thanks!
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

There's no preferred. Everyone has a different way they want their ATO to work.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

lnevo wrote:There's no preferred. Everyone has a different way they want their ATO to work.
True but knowing what others with experience do can really help a newbie avoid costly and time consuming mistakes. Until I have more experience maybe the best thing I can do is copy an expert!