Noisy pH

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
mls228

Noisy pH

Post by mls228 »

My pH has been very buggy recently. I even replaced my pH probe since it was over 1 year old. I recieved a new probe from Roberto, calibrated it with some calibration fluids that I bought off Amazon and they put the probe in the tank on Saturday. See the attached, I think my heaters are having some impact on the reading.

The relay output below is the heaters, which is strange since the Ph probe is upstairs in the DT while the heaters are both in the basement sump. I figured they should be somewhat isolated systems but I guess that there is a solid column of water in both the siphon and return while the main pump is running.

I'll try moving the pH probe around, I'll try the overflow next. I want to nail this down soon since my calcium reactor arrives this week!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (43.09 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
cosmith71

Re: Noisy pH

Post by cosmith71 »

Your heater may have a voltage leak. That will cause a false low pH reading.

--Colin
mls228

Post by mls228 »

cosmith71 wrote:Your heater may have a voltage leak. That will cause a false low pH reading.

--Colin
Both heaters are completely submerged. I'll relocate them to a vertical position with only the glass parts covered in water and see what happens.
Piper

Post by Piper »

Check all of your temp probes and float switches if you use them. They can leak voltage and cause this as well.

~Charlie
mls228

Noisy pH

Post by mls228 »

I was able to pinpoint the problem to the High limit float switch. When I disconnected it at the head unit the pH stabilized to 7.97 and has been sitting there since. Image
mls228

Post by mls228 »

Behaved as expected overnight. The slight rise overnight is due to a kalkwasser drip.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.62 KiB) Viewed 4953 times
g6gang

Post by g6gang »

mls228 wrote:My pH has been very buggy recently. I even replaced my pH probe since it was over 1 year old. I recieved a new probe from Roberto, calibrated it with some calibration fluids that I bought off Amazon and they put the probe in the tank on Saturday. See the attached, I think my heaters are having some impact on the reading.

The relay output below is the heaters, which is strange since the Ph probe is upstairs in the DT while the heaters are both in the basement sump. I figured they should be somewhat isolated systems but I guess that there is a solid column of water in both the siphon and return while the main pump is running.

I'll try moving the pH probe around, I'll try the overflow next. I want to nail this down soon since my calcium reactor arrives this week!
How do you get those nice graphs? I am looking to purchase a RA but not sure how this all works. Do I need the WiFi module and the app to get those graphs you attached? Or re they some how accessible from the PC when I hook up tothe unit?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Those are from the Portal or the smart phone app, which does require the wifi attachment.
Roberto.
mls228

Post by mls228 »

g6gang wrote:
mls228 wrote:My pH has been very buggy recently. I even replaced my pH probe since it was over 1 year old. I recieved a new probe from Roberto, calibrated it with some calibration fluids that I bought off Amazon and they put the probe in the tank on Saturday. See the attached, I think my heaters are having some impact on the reading.

How do you get those nice graphs? I am looking to purchase a RA but not sure how this all works. Do I need the WiFi module and the app to get those graphs you attached? Or re they some how accessible from the PC when I hook up tothe unit?
I gotta say that the Reef Angel has been the best investment I've made. It handles so much of the day to day tasks and saves costly mistakes and allows you to enjoy the hobby more.