New User Must Read Posts

New members questions
matt_longview

New User Must Read Posts

Post by matt_longview »

Hey guys,

Just purchased a gen 2 Reef Angel controller and I'm jumping in head first. When I get this thing in I want to be able to set things up well. What forum posts should I read first? I searched for a list somewhere but didn't find one. I'll read through the stickies and those specific to my add ons but just thought some general must reads would be good. :-)
rimai

Re: New User Must Read Posts

Post by rimai »

Roberto.
Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

Matt

I am putting together a "Where to start" for new users (and anyone else that need a pointer :) ) to help them get going with Reef Angel. The idea is that I will list the various topics to get you started and have hyper-links to the relevant form posting or external sources.

For example taken from the "Where to start" Guide
RAgen
RAgen or Reef Angel Generator was developed by Curt Binder to make it easier to get started with using the Development Libraries. RAgen provides a GUI, which with a few mouse clicks will produce the code required to build your Memory and PDE file.

Because RAgen takes the hard work out of building structure of the PDE file and working code, it is advised that all new users of the Development Libraries install RAgen on their desktop and use it to create the basis of their PDE file. The file can later be modified with additional sections of code to create specific tasks for the controller to perform.

Download RAgen at https://github.com/curtbinder/RAGen/archives/master

Introduction to RAgen can be found at http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=498

As mentioned above RAgen will generate two files:

Memory file
This file (memory-x-x-x-x.pde) needs to be created only once, and uploaded at the time of a new installation. You do not need to upload a memory file each time that you change or modify the PDE file. The Memory file can be changed and up dated through a number of utilities at any time (more on this later).

PDE file
The PDE file (filename.pde) contains the main code. RAgen generates the code and passes it directly to the Arduino compiler/Loader for uploading to the Reef Angel head unit.
As I am sure you will understand there is a lot of information to be collated, and it takes time. I hope to have the first edition ready by the end of January.

I would be interested in any comments and suggestion on content.
matt_longview

Post by matt_longview »

Great to hear. I'll try to take some observations down about being a first time user. I've beta tested for companies several times and used to (5 years ago) be a web developer. I might be able to have insight into the most difficult aspects of getting started. It appears for now however, that I am stuck waiting on Fedex... package was scheduled to arrive yesterday....
Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

Any suggestions will be a great help.

RA is a fantastic product, but because it needs a degree of programming newbies without the background may find a guide pointing them in the right direction a great help. Anything I can do to promote the RA and get it recognized as a leading Reef Controller is my aim!

I think that you will enjoy the flexibility it will bring to running your Reef Tank. I have kept marine life now for almost fifty years, and I wish I had been able to have a system like this years ago. :D
matt_longview

Post by matt_longview »

The thing I'm seeing that's most needed at this point is an absolute "guide" with all compiled information. It seems all information is available but must be found searching through the forums, opening different manuals and going back and forth between manuals and forums. The wifi manual shouldn't even contain the manual mode... it should be the wifi utility program. That was the easiest to install wifi settings ever and the easiest mode should be most available (I luckily found the guide here on the forums before following the manual).

It should basically be listed in order someone would need to set things up with links to other articles and downloadable files. Should contain a pre-setup area where you download current programs and update all libraries ect. Then a setup area that goes through everything from plugging everything in, to uploading the most updated simple setup setup and the RAGen software. Then there should be sections dedicated to attachments and more segments dedicated to popular code changes. There should be a troubleshooting section at the end that contains many typical problems that people run into. I'd say if more than 10% of people run into the same issue it should be included in that master list.

I know compiling all that data will take time, but thus far I've found that most of the needed data is out there when I'm searching for it. Which... is a great thing. And the other thing... rimai getting back with people so quickly makes this amazing! I mean come on... I had a problem on new years eve at 7pm... who else is going to answer my question that evening?!?!
Treamaya

Post by Treamaya »

Matt hit the nail on the head.This stuff needs to be re-organized. You all have charged up the hill leaving bread crumbs behind you and those who are following are missing some of the turns along the way.... I downloaded all of the user manuals and printed them and reviewed them while waiting for my controller. I just received my controller tonight. I am trying to get all the software installed and was doing that program by program. Things didn't seem to be adding up and then I searched the forums some more and found the tutorials, which has different information than the user manuals. There I found I needed to download the Reef Angel installer (found at the bottom of the download page). This should be at the top of the list of programs. I attempted to uninstall all of the previous downloads. Reef Angel Suite does not want to uninstall. I found that the RAGen Settings don't default to where they need to be when installed, in a thread in the newbie section. So that seems to be working now. I am working on reinstalling everything using my admin profile since I can't get the default code to compile. Some of the software will install if you are not in an admin profile and some does not. I am trying to get the WIFI setup but since I can't compile any code without errors I can't get through the WIFI setup manual. I found my compiling errors were due to outdated libraries... which I determined through more thread searches, then I found a thread mentioning a Libarary updater utility (which works great). So now I am at the point where I can compile but I can't send that to the control. I am glad I didn't connect all my gear to the relay box first. It's been 6 hours trying to program and I still can't try my WIFI adapter.... I expected some issues and a learning curve, but I didn't expect to have to fish in the forums to get it to almost work out of the box.
stevenhman

Post by stevenhman »

I'm having some similar problems Treamaya - I went with the "How to Guide" at first and manually installed the drivers and the update app. Then I found the 'real' ReefAngel installer and used it - the installer put new drivers in - I can compile code with the Arduino app included (I couldn't with the Arduino1.0) , but now I can't upload code. I even turned off the ReefAngel Client "Listening / Logging" because I was getting an error that COM3 was busy and still I still can't upload code.

I am also getting a bit confused as some of the relays in the code are labeled 0-7 and in other places they are 1-8. The different relay box 'versions' are confusing as well. I'm pretty sure I have the Version 2. In the ReefAngel Client - the pictured relay box shows them numbered 1-8 with 1 & 2 on the side closest to the PWM/Serial/USB side whereas on the website the ver. 2 relay box has the 1 & 2 on the side where the power plugs into.

Now I'm glad I waited on buying the WiFi attachment, I'm confused enough as it is now- hahaha!
Treamaya

Post by Treamaya »

The tech support is awesome! I am up and running, woot!

Steve, open device manager and look at the com/LPT ports... note which are COM ports and which are SERIAL ports. I only have one serial port (COM1 for me). That is the one to use in Arduino/Tools/serial port selection.
stevenhman

Post by stevenhman »

Ahh. Haha - the support here is great! I didn't want to sound whiny, just a bit frustrated. I think I have my side fixed now. Thanks! The problem I have with uploading was 1st upload the internal memory and then the new code generated by RAGen.
binder

Post by binder »

stevenhman wrote:Ahh. Haha - the support here is great! I didn't want to sound whiny, just a bit frustrated. I think I have my side fixed now. Thanks! The problem I have with uploading was 1st upload the internal memory and then the new code generated by RAGen.
No worries. We've all been there before. Just make sure you have patience....that's all. :)