very very basic :)

New members questions
davelee

very very basic :)

Post by davelee »

well i just signed up as i was looking through the net and a few threads for diy led builds which im after for my tank, but i want sunrise, sunset maybe some variations in the day, but i dont wanna get ahead of myself yet :lol: so my main question is bar the controller (the reef angel controller) the way i see it is all id need to build an led setup is

12-14 3w leds per driver, (per colour?) like the....CREE-XP-dsh-E-Blue-3W

suitable amount of heatsink/wires/wrap etc

dimmable drivers like .....Mean-Well-ELN-dsh-60-dsh-48P-dimmable/Detail

then the driver links power to a socket and dimmer wires to your pwm ports on the controller??

im a total novice and only just started researching this tonight so any help is much appriciated

cheers guys, dave
rimai

Re: very very basic :)

Post by rimai »

Yeap.
The only other thing you would need is the PWM port lead wire that you can find it at the webstore too.
Roberto.
davelee

Post by davelee »

wow, it sounds so very easy and cheap compaired to other options out there, i might have to look round here some more and make a start building :)

would i need seperate circuts for difrent colours? as i was thinking of putting a few violets in the color spectrum... or would this be a cool thing to run seperate and use when dimming others on a storm/cloud setting

or could i split the various colours into sections so i could programe cloud movement from lrft to right?... or am i just getting in over my head now lol :P
rimai

Post by rimai »

You can do all that, but if the base RA only has 2 dimming channels.
You can get 6 more channels with the PWM expansion module:
http://www.reefangel.com/Products.PWM-E ... odule.ashx
Then, you will be able to do the other effects you mentioned.
Roberto.
davelee

Post by davelee »

ive not got a clue how the coding or programming works but it does all look very impressive. and im sure ill pick it up, i did udes to be a cnc operator/programmer but thats much more basic than this haha

ive spent a bit more time and looked around here more and really like it, i was going to build my light unit first and purchase this after but i may reconsider now seening the kit you get as standard is ato, temp sensor and ph probe!.. i better look into the exchange rate :D :roll: