AVR Studio 5

Would you like to help?
Share your walkthrough tutorial with others
Bryan

AVR Studio 5

Post by Bryan »

Well, with a bit of work have been able to port over the RA code to AVRStudio 5. Will post a tutorial later this week.
Compiler Output
Compiler Output
Capture.PNG (30.07 KiB) Viewed 11410 times
-=Bryan=-
binder

Re: AVR Studio 5

Post by binder »

How's the guide coming along? Is it just like AVR Studio 4?

curt
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hi Curt. Did not think anybody was interested., Can certainly post something up for you in a couple days, Although I think AvrStudio 4 is more stable for development purposes. Think version 5 is a little too buggy.
-=Bryan=-
binder

Post by binder »

Bryan wrote:Hi Curt. Did not think anybody was interested., Can certainly post something up for you in a couple days, Although I think AvrStudio 4 is more stable for development purposes. Think version 5 is a little too buggy.
Ok, cool. No worries. I just downloaded AVR 4 & 5 last night. 5 was quite a hefty download.

I'm going to play around with AVR 4 because I need to do some more optimization's with the code and figure out where some of my problems are at.

Yeah, MOST people won't want to mess with this. This seems to be more of an advanced usage/topic. In fact, it probably primarily applies to Roberto & myself.

So don't worry about posting anything for 5 unless you absolutely want to.

curt
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hi Curt:

Give me a week and I will get the Studio 5 tutorial uploaded, although for serious stuff I think 4 is more stable. Going to try some debugging with the Dragon and see how it fares. Apparently not that great with C++, but better than nothing. One good thing about Studio4 and 5 is you can tweak the optimizations a bit to cram more code into the 328. I can easily get the LED PWM and WIFI code compiled and flashed to the 328 where the Arduino IDE can't..too big.

In the meantime let me know if you need any assistance in getting RA running on version 4. No expert but think I can get you in the right direction<g>
-=Bryan=-
binder

Post by binder »

ok cool. No rush on getting 5 going...i still have lots of other stuff to do and was looking into getting eclipse working since i run linux as my main machine.

curt
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Curt:

Done eclispe as well :) , and it worked, although no debugging tools. Here is a tutorial that I followed, pretty much sums it up.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,62094.0.html
-=Bryan=-
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Forgot to mention. This link has some very good info on the use of various flags to optimize the compiling and linking in avr-gcc. Can really save on code size. Unfortunately Arduino does not allow you to modify the flags from within the IDE, but I have read somewhere that the makefile can be modified, so that may be a avenue to pursue.

http://www.tty1.net/blog/2008-04-29-avr ... ns_en.html
-=Bryan=-
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Curt:

Any luck in your quest to get RA code to compile in Eclipse?
-=Bryan=-
binder

Post by binder »

Bryan wrote:Curt:

Any luck in your quest to get RA code to compile in Eclipse?
Haven't tried yet. I started to get Eclipse setup and I believe I downloaded the plugins and got most of it setup just never imported my project in. I got side tracked working on the design for ragen2....well at least part of it. Mostly working on a status application for communicating with the controller. That program will be using the same cross-platform style as ragen2 and will also be bundled with ragen2.

So this is a little low on my priority list. Plus I've been on vacation all this week.

curt
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I know the feeling, with summer just not into any programming or playing around with electronics. Looking forward to Ragen 2.0.

Cheers
-=Bryan=-
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Curt:

Something you may be interested in on your quest for working with Eclipse.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,70547.0.html
-=Bryan=-
binder

Post by binder »

Bryan wrote:Curt:

Something you may be interested in on your quest for working with Eclipse.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,70547.0.html
Thanks. Looks pretty cool. I'll have to check it out more.

curt
rimai

Post by rimai »

I downloaded eclipse and I gotta tell you that I actually like the interface.
I'm just using it as an editor for the libraries and not compiling anything.
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Yup, sure beats the Arduino lotus 123 look interface doesn't it. I did have to turn off one of the formatting settings (can't remember) in Eclipse as it kept crashing. Just a tip if it happens to you, may be a hardware issue with my graphics card or something.
-=Bryan=-