Upgrading Libraries

New members questions
chase

Upgrading Libraries

Post by chase »

Does upgrading libraries over write any customized files, like my features.h, etc? I was looking at updating to the latest dev libs but I want to make sure I don't miss something.
Thanks!
binder

Re: Upgrading Libraries

Post by binder »

chase wrote:Does upgrading libraries over write any customized files, like my features.h, etc? I was looking at updating to the latest dev libs but I want to make sure I don't miss something.
Thanks!
Yes, it would overwrite your features.h file. It updates all the files in the libraries directory. If you use ragen, it also updates your features file when you generate a file. What I would suggest doing is this:
  • Copy your ReefAngel_Features.h file to somewhere safe (my documents, etc) as a backup
  • Update your libraries
  • Restore your ReefAngel_Features.h file (either way will work):
    • copy the backed up file to it's original place
    • launch ragen (version 1.1.0 or later) and import your features from the backed up file
  • compile & upload your pde file inside arduino
With the features file, the old/existing features will (should) always work. They should not ever change from the libraries (unless they absolutely have to but I will try to ever prevent that from happening). This will prevent breaking features and ensuring that everything compiles normally.

curt
rimai

Post by rimai »

Very good point!!
Thanks!!!
I'll change the update utility to only download the features file once and never overwrite it.
This way, the appication can be resused at any time without worrying of loosing the contents of the features file.
Roberto.
chase

Post by chase »

Great, sounds good to me. As always thanks for the help!
rimai

Post by rimai »

I have made the changes so the file doesn't get overwriten by the update utility anymore.
You can simply run the update utility to auto-update the application or install it again.
http://www.reefangel.com/update
Roberto.