New User Questions

New members questions
howaboutme

Re: New User Questions

Post by howaboutme »

Ok...next thing on my list is to calibrate the ph probe. I got 829 ish for both 7 and 10 calibration fluids and when I put the probe in my tank, the numbers go wild up and down +/- 2 or 3 points. Something tell me this is not right. I have more calibration fluid and will test again tomorrow night. (The ph probe has been sitting in the probe holder for as far as I know.) Any thoughts?
Jack
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Don't laugh, but did you take the cover off the probe?
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

lnevo wrote:Don't laugh, but did you take the cover off the probe?
Ok, I didn't laugh. I took the probe out of the storage solution bottle and that's it. But I just checked it after you asked and saw a clear, glass bubble-like thing at the tip, recessed within the plastic surround. So I was curious thinking that was a cap..Well...it doesn't look like it because I actually broke it. Apparently, that glass bubble is very brittle and after a slight push, it broke.

Am I screwed?
Jack
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Eek...yeah the bubble thing is not the cap, thats the sensor. You are screwed unless Roberto will RMA it :(

Not sure then what your original problem was, but your original description seemed like that typical issue. Sometimes the cover isn't a bottle but a thin plastic gel like cap...

Sorry to have guided you wrong :(
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Yeah, darn. It's okay.

Roberto??? :?: :D

Well, original problem was the calibration issue. I searched on the forums and found another one w/ similar issues that had the same number for both 7 and 10 fluids and Roberto thought it was a controller issue and RMA'd it but that may be premature since the probe is now busted.
Jack
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Roberto.....

Any thoughts on my issues above? Do you think the calibration issue was a probe problem or a board problem? Since the probe is now shot, I want to know what my next steps are, if to get a new probe only or something more?
Thanks.
Jack
rimai

Post by rimai »

Does it still show 800's when you go into calibration without the probe?
What happens when you short out the center pin with the outer shell in the BNC connector??
Use a paper clip or small wire.
We are trying to simulate 0V.
Roberto.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

rimai wrote:Does it still show 800's when you go into calibration without the probe?
What happens when you short out the center pin with the outer shell in the BNC connector??
Use a paper clip or small wire.
We are trying to simulate 0V.
Will this test work even w/ the tip of the probe broken like described above? If so, i will try the test tonight but....

Can you explain shorting out the center pin w/ the outer shell of the BNC connector? Am I using a paper clip and connecting the center pin of the connector that attaches to the head unit w/ the metal surround of that connector? Sorry, I have limited electrical knowledge.

Thanks for the reply.
Jack
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, throw the probe away. It's garbage at this point.
When you remove the probe, you will see a BNC connector in the head unit.
Looking at the connector, you will have a center pin hole and the outer round metal shell.
Use any metal wire or paper clip to short out those two. This will be the same as simulating pH7.
pH7 is a neutral solution that should give out 0mV.
At this point, the controller should show in the 500s when you go into calibration.
Roberto.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Ok, got it.

So should I go ahead and order a new probe or hold off until we know the head unit is working?
Jack
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Ok, Roberto,

It reads 762 w/ no probe attached in both 7 and 10 and 509 when shorted. What does this tell you?
Jack
rimai

Post by rimai »

The board looks to be fine. That's the reading you should get. You will need a new probe though :(
Roberto.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

OK. Thanks. Any explanation on why my initial calibration was giving me trouble? See a few posts up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Jack
rimai

Post by rimai »

Hard to say now.
Roberto.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Haha..Okay, nice diplomatic answer....

Will get a new ph probe.
Jack
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

Hey Jack, I'm in Montgomery Village and have some extra probes in stock. Let you have one for a good price. PM me.

Ross
RoscoesReefs
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Ross, sent you a PM but for some reason it's stuck in the "outbox".....I assume I'm allowed to PM though I have seen other people request that function from Roberto...Hope it goes through.
Jack
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

got it. replied.
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Messages stay in outbox till they are read :)
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

lnevo wrote:Messages stay in outbox till they are read :)
haha..okay..thinking too much about outlook. thanks!
Jack
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

rimai wrote:Use the controllertester code in the examples folder to test each port.
roberto..this is in regard to the post about relay #6 not shutting off during feed/wc mode..i did the controllertest code..flipped through it but wasn't sure what to look for. the outlet was on when i flipped to #6. is that what you're testing? thanks.
Jack
rimai

Post by rimai »

You can scroll through each port turning it on and off by moving the joystick. Look at the screen to see which port is turned on.
Roberto.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Yeah, I did that and everything seems to be okay for the test. #6 just won't turn off even though the code is correct. This is the 2nd time this happened. First time, the problem solved itself somehow w/o me doing anything.
Jack
rimai

Post by rimai »

Are you sure you are not overriding the relay port?
Roberto.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

rimai wrote:Are you sure you are not overriding the relay port?
No, I am not sure. But I don't think so. I do nothing to the controller before I hit either the feeding or wc mode. I even re-uploaded the code last night to the controller and #6 still didn't recognize the mode. I am thinking tonight I will try to move the ph that's on #6 to an open outlet to test again.

How would I override the relay port? Since I am new I cannot rule that out inadvertently.

PS. I obtained a wifi module that I worked on briefly last night too. I have a few questions but will post a different thread so my questions won't get lost in this. Thanks.
Jack