Stupid questions from new user

Talk about you and your tank/equipment
paperdesk

Stupid questions from new user

Post by paperdesk »

Hi, I'm in the process of purchasing a RA controller, and just want to make sure I am getting the right components. This will be my first controller, so I'm needing a little help getting things figured out. Here is what I want to control on my 90 gallon tank:

1 DC Jabao pump
2x Jabao WP 25's
2x heaters
ATO
Skimmer
2x Evergrow D120 LED fixtures (hacked)

What do I need to control the above? I assume I would have to plug all 4 Evergrow plugs into the relay box, which would use up half of my outlets right there, unless I could double up using an outlet multiplier or something. I think I read that these fixtures cannot be dimmed completely via the 0-10v dimmer, so that means they couldn't be plugged into standard non-controlled outlets, correct?

With the evergrow I'm assuming I would have to go with the following:
RA+
Expansion Hub
Relay Expansion
Dimming Expansion

If I choose a lighting option that has it's own controller then I may be able to just squeak by for now with just the RA+ and no expansions.

I want to be able to monitor things remotely, and if I connect an ethernet cable to the unit I wouldn't need the wifi attachment right?

Thanks for answering my "stupid new user" questions!

Ted
rimai

Re: Stupid questions from new user

Post by rimai »

You need to mod those D120 fixtures to be able to control them.
There is a thread somewhere in the forum about that.
You will need the wifi attachment. There is no ethernet option.
Roberto.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

Yes modding is a better term than hacking but that is what i meant. I didn't realize there is no ethernet option. Am I missing anything else other than jabao wires
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

Yes modding is a better term than hacking but that is what i meant. I didn't realize there is no ethernet option. Am I missing anything else other than jabao wires
rimai

Post by rimai »

You are good on those.
They can be plugged straight into the dimming ports on the side of the relay box.
You will need one Jebao cable per pump. So, make sure to order 2.
Roberto.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

Any answer to the "stupid" part of my question regarding using an outlet multiplier for the LED fixtures? Also same applies to the 0-10v ports, I can't plug both lights into one set of ports?
rimai

Post by rimai »

There is no such thing as stupid question.
If you place more than one light fixture into a single outlet, you may wear out the relays faster. If you place too many, you may even weld the contacts together and you will end up with an outlet that is always on.
Any equipment that draws a lot of current when initially turned on should have its own port.
You can connect multiple dimming wires in a single dimming port though.
Roberto.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

Just what I needed to know! Thanks!
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

I think I read that the 0-10v control doesn't dim these to 0. Can anyone confirm this? If this is so, then I would not be able to connect to an uncontrolled power supply.
rimai

Post by rimai »

The limitation is not the signal. It's the driver.
When people modded the fixture, they used meanwell ELN drivers, which are not capable of dimming down to 0%.
Anything lower than about 15% gets cutoff.
Roberto.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

Makes sense about the driver. I'll look into that more, I didn't realize they were swapping drivers, just thought they did a little wiring.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

For the evergrow its not a driver swap (just wiring changes) but it is still a driver limitation.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

I'm just checking to make sure I understand this correctly:

I should be able to save money up front and begin with a minimal setup to start out, going with just the RA+ controller (analog), and WIFI expansion. There would be some limitations as listed below.

This would allow control of two modified Evergrow fixtures, and everything else I mentioned in the first post except "dimming" of the Jabao pumps (since I would only have two dimming ports). I would have to double up the light fixture controls on the dimming ports, and would also have to plug the light fixtures into non-controlled power outlets, since I wouldn't have room room for the four plugs on the relay box. Will this work?

Late on I would add the modules and other accessories I want.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You'd actually be able to control the jaebo pumps with the ato ports. You would need a modified (ie special order) 5V jaebo cables.

Right now the libraries only have support for using the low port but that could be worked around.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

Inevo, thanks for the reply, very interesting option! I think I did see that come up on a thread somewhere. My only concern with that is I think I want my ATO controls for ATO, though if I get the water level expansion I guess they would be free. I have a bit more reading to do! I've been considering everything more, and I think I'm going to go for a lighting option that has a built in controller, so that should simplify things quite a bit for now at least. I think this means that I should now get the PWM controller now instead of the analog since it's cheaper, and will work with the Jabao pumps.
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

I just realized this, if I add a relay expansion I will get another set of dimmers right? There are two sets of dimmers on each relay box?
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

paperdesk wrote:I just realized this, if I add a relay expansion I will get another set of dimmers right? There are two sets of dimmers on each relay box?
Only the dimmers on the first box work.

--Colin
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

cosmith71 wrote:
paperdesk wrote:I just realized this, if I add a relay expansion I will get another set of dimmers right? There are two sets of dimmers on each relay box?
Only the dimmers on the first box work.

--Colin
Ok, glad I asked!