Considering Reef Angel for new build

Talk about you and your tank/equipment
SouthernReefer

Considering Reef Angel for new build

Post by SouthernReefer »

Hey all, Im heavily looking into adding Reef Angel Star to my new 72 build. I have an uncontrolled 220 pred tank, and 32 bio cube as well, but this is the new build for a reef tank for me. ( the 32 is my wifes that i handle for her) ive never been into control, but when i found this open source option, i was very happy! Im an android user, and past linux user, so open source is my friend!

anything i should be aware of etc?

Im not looking to do too much out of the box.

Turn skimmer, return, fuge light etc on and off as needed, control ATO, and heater, and track Heat and PH. Wont be controlling lights or flow pumps.

Thanks!
binder

Re: Considering Reef Angel for new build

Post by binder »

First off, welcome!

Secondly, what you are wanting to do is well within the limits of the basic setup (controller and relay box). there's no major "gotchas" that I'm aware of (believe me, I've done my fair share of testing over the last 8-9 years).
you will need an ethernet cable run to the star for connectivity (no wifi... it caused problems although I never really had any until a couple months ago).

Otherwise it's pretty straightforward. Highly recommend using the online webwizard to program it. It makes everything simple until you want to.... oh let's just say, "get creative" ;-)

Lastly, search the forums for answers to questions that you have. If you need more clarification or help, just ask and someone can help you out or point you in the right direction.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
SouthernReefer

Post by SouthernReefer »

binder wrote:First off, welcome!

Secondly, what you are wanting to do is well within the limits of the basic setup (controller and relay box). there's no major "gotchas" that I'm aware of (believe me, I've done my fair share of testing over the last 8-9 years).
you will need an ethernet cable run to the star for connectivity (no wifi... it caused problems although I never really had any until a couple months ago).

Otherwise it's pretty straightforward. Highly recommend using the online webwizard to program it. It makes everything simple until you want to.... oh let's just say, "get creative" ;-)

Lastly, search the forums for answers to questions that you have. If you need more clarification or help, just ask and someone can help you out or point you in the right direction.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thank you!! So the standard reef angel star would be my best option? Drilling a small hole in the floor to run a network line into the basement isn't a problem. I'm an IT guy by day so no biggie. I'd love to some day build a mixing station, and program it to do auto water Changes etc. Any reccomendations on the system at all? Things to watch out for etc?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah, start with the base system. It should get you started.
Roberto.
SouthernReefer

Post by SouthernReefer »

Thank you!! I'll likely look here when I'm ready to grab a used unit if I can, but we will see.