MQTT integration with Home Assistant

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
wolfpack

MQTT integration with Home Assistant

Post by wolfpack »

I'm trying to bring my systems under the Home Assistant umbrella. First, let me say I am really new at this still.

I was messing around with the MQTT feed from cloud.reefangel.com using port 1883 and my username/password for the forum. It connected (success!) but even in MQTT Explorer it shows no activity, so I am not sure how I'm supposed to find the topics. Any help is appreciated.
rimai

Re: MQTT integration with Home Assistant

Post by rimai »

On our cloud server, you are authorized to publish and subscribe to topics that start with your forum username.
RA publishes and subscribes to topics username/in and username/out
Roberto.
wolfpack

Post by wolfpack »

thanks for the reply Roberto. Any idea why even when listening to topic "wolfpack" or "wolfpack" or "wolfpack/out" or "wolfpack/in" I see nothing coming through? I also checked MQTT Explorer and see no topic structure after connecting.

I am definitely new at this, but seems to me no data is flowing... though it must be as I am sending commands from the app and seeing the data regarding temperature and outlets.
rimai

Post by rimai »

You have to make sure that when you connect, you send the username and password. Unauthenticated users don't have authorization to publish/subscribe to any channels.
Roberto.
wolfpack

Post by wolfpack »

I setup the connection with username and password already. I assume that's what you mean by login? Or am I supposed to send a command after establishing the initial connect?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Have you tried using mosquitto?
https://mosquitto.org/
mosquitto_sub -v -t "username/in" -h cloud.reefangel.com -u username -P password
Replace username and passwprd with your own.
Roberto.