Bus lock

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
ucez

Bus lock

Post by ucez »

Just got a bus lock, no new hardware, so sure what caused, but disconnected power and now working. Is there a way to disable functionality if a bus lock does occur? In my case it dumped my entire alk reservoir...would really like to avoid that again.
ucez

Re: Bus lock

Post by ucez »

It looks like the salinity expansion/probe might have been the culprit. The salinity went from 30 to 6 instantly sometime before I noticed the bus lock. I tried cleaning the probe and unplugging the salinity expansion, still reads 6. There was a moment when I was fussing with the connection to the expansion hub that it read 30, but just for a moment.

Question is how do I tell if it's a bad salinity module or probe?
rimai

Post by rimai »

If you short out the BNC on the salinity module it should start reporting numbers, in which case it would probably be the probe.
Roberto.
ucez

Post by ucez »

How do I do that?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Use a paper clip
Roberto.
ucez

Post by ucez »

So if shorting out means jamming the paperclip into the hole where the salinity probe connects, then no it did not report any numbers, so assuming the module is the culprit.

I really like having salinity monitor, but a little nervous about this happening again. Can I chalk this up to a random occurrence or is does this happen more often?
rimai

Post by rimai »

The bus lock usually will be present when you start having issues on the connectors/cables.
Roberto.
ucez

Post by ucez »

Checked with cable from expansion module, worked fine. Cable looks like USB to mini B?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Correct
Roberto.
ucez

Post by ucez »

Excellent. Thanks.