What are you all using for powerheads?

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
binder

Re: What are you all using for powerheads?

Post by binder »

SouthernReefer wrote:
binder wrote:I have a pair of maxspect gyre xf230s running on my 75 gallon tank. I run them alternating at around 50-52%. works pretty good for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

What types of coral are you keeping? I was considering a pair of the ice cap 1ks too but thought it would be too much flow.
I have 2 clams, a couple montipora plates, 4-5 sps colonies, a millipora, 6 different acan colonies, 2 large trumpet colonies, plus softies.

I'm attaching a FTS of my tank. Image

SouthernReefer

Post by SouthernReefer »

binder wrote:
SouthernReefer wrote:
binder wrote:I have a pair of maxspect gyre xf230s running on my 75 gallon tank. I run them alternating at around 50-52%. works pretty good for me.

What types of coral are you keeping? I was considering a pair of the ice cap 1ks too but thought it would be too much flow.
I have 2 clams, a couple montipora plates, 4-5 sps colonies, a millipora, 6 different acan colonies, 2 large trumpet colonies, plus softies.

I'm attaching a FTS of my tank. Image

Beautiful tank! So it wouldn't be too much power? I'm after alot of the same things. Hammers, frogspawns clams acans lps, and choice sps like montis cap

binder

Post by binder »

Thanks!
I have a hammer coral in it on the left side.
it honestly shouldn't be too much for it. you definitely want to have flow /circulation. you could probably get by with just one (i did for a while). the top part of the tank gets better flow than the bottom (for obvious reasons). I would keep the frogspawn / clams / etc away from the sides where the flow hits the glass and deflects down.
ultimately its your call but i personally think you will be fine using one. you can even run the pumps slower if you desired.

SouthernReefer

Post by SouthernReefer »

binder wrote:Thanks!
it honestly shouldn't be too much for it. you definitely want to have flow /circulation. you could probably get by with just one (i did for a while). the top part of the tank gets better flow than the bottom (for obvious reasons). I would keep the frogspawn / clams / etc away from the sides where the flow hits the glass and deflects down.
ultimately its your call but i personally think you will be fine using one. you can even run the pumps slower if you desired.

Are you using the apex module to unlock the 0 to 10 control into reef angel?
binder

Post by binder »

SouthernReefer wrote:

I use the icecap module for the apex and created a custom cable to interface with the Reef Angel.

SouthernReefer

Post by SouthernReefer »

binder wrote:
SouthernReefer wrote:

I use the icecap module for the apex and created a custom cable to interface with the Reef Angel.

Fairly simple to build?
binder

Post by binder »

SouthernReefer wrote:
binder wrote:
SouthernReefer wrote: Are you using the apex module to unlock the 0 to 10 control into reef angel?

Fairly simple to build?
absolutely. easiest for the star. I can help guide you if you need it. the star uses a network cable. cut one end off and splice some of the wires together with a 2.5 mm mono cable. pretty straight forward. I bought a 6ft mono cable and got 2 - 3ft cables from it. then bought a distribution block to split the wires and make everything look clean and reduce the need to solder. (i don't like soldering thin cables...well working with them in general sucks). it was much harder for the plus because of the connector but still very doable.

SouthernReefer

Post by SouthernReefer »

[

Are you using the apex module to unlock the 0 to 10 control into reef angel?[/quote]I use the icecap module for the apex and created a custom cable to interface with the Reef Angel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk[/quote]

I appreciate it. I do have the star. Just got here last week. I lost out on those used gyres, so I think I will go with my plan A of reef octopus octopulse 2s. I'll be ordering one to start some testing shortly. So leads me to this question.

Is this then what would work with the star? Controllers for octo have the mono females for native 0 to 10

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-module ... cecap.html
binder

Post by binder »

I believe so. The only downside, I think, is that it only uses 4 of the 8 wires. This will allow you to only use 2 of the 4 channels. it's not a big deal initially, unless you plan to use all 4 of the pwm channels.

SouthernReefer

Post by SouthernReefer »

binder wrote:I believe so. The only downside, I think, is that it only uses 4 of the 8 wires. This will allow you to only use 2 of the 4 channels. it's not a big deal initially, unless you plan to use all 4 of the pwm channels.

Good as I've got it on order. I'll be running 2 of the reef octopus octopulse 2s that's the only item I'm looking to use 0 to 10 v for. If I decide to add a new return pump with o 0 to 10 I'll have to build my own cable then.
binder

Post by binder »

SouthernReefer wrote:
binder wrote:I believe so. The only downside, I think, is that it only uses 4 of the 8 wires. This will allow you to only use 2 of the 4 channels. it's not a big deal initially, unless you plan to use all 4 of the pwm channels.

Good as I've got it on order. I'll be running 2 of the reef octopus octopulse 2s that's the only item I'm looking to use 0 to 10 v for. If I decide to add a new return pump with o 0 to 10 I'll have to build my own cable then.
you will have to look at what wires are used in the network connector to tell what pwm channels are being used. I have that same cable but not handy, so I can't tell you. the best way is to plug both cables in and have the pwm set to zero. then manually change 1 channel at a time and see what happens. (of course, you probably already knew that but I still felt like sharing)

SouthernReefer

Post by SouthernReefer »

Actually I didn't. This is my first controller and first time with 0 to 10 control, but I'm a tech guy so very inclined, but still would of taken a bit of research, so that saves me some time. I appreciate it!!
binder

Post by binder »

SouthernReefer wrote:Actually I didn't. This is my first controller and first time with 0 to 10 control, but I'm a tech guy so very inclined, but still would of taken a bit of research, so that saves me some time. I appreciate it!!
anytime. feel free to ask all questions you want or even PM me. I'll help as best as I can.

SouthernReefer

Post by SouthernReefer »

Appreciate it! Just started remodeling the room the new tank is going in, so won't be long before im wiring it all up and get it coded. Already doscovt about 3 more modules I "need" LOL