Struggles getting started with RA Star

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
wolfpack

Struggles getting started with RA Star

Post by wolfpack »

First, I love this community. I had a RA and RA Plus but then had a child and stepped away from the hobby completely. We're starting a planted tank and I love controllers, so I bought an RA Star.

Well, it's not as easy as I thought it would be to start and I'd love some assistance.

I plugged things in, plugged in Micro USB to laptop and everything looks good to go with the web wizard. I uploaded (I think), but the screen never changed, the touch screen is non-responsive, and the LED on the left side is solid red, none of the outlets are actual turning on. Temperature probe responds with delay. I can't see stats on my portal.

I feel like I am doing something really wrong, but I am not finding much documentation to point me in the right direction. I followed what is posted as the manual to get started.

I appreciate any help!
wolfpack

Re: Struggles getting started with RA Star

Post by wolfpack »

I did the upload again with the web wizard. This time I selected to put memory settings in code. I don't know if it really uploads as nothing looks different. The red status light is now green, but still non-responsive touch screen. This is a touch screen, right? :-/

And none of the outlets turned on. I don't remember these struggles, but maybe I've just been away for a long time.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Is the touch screen non responsive even without anything connected to it?
Roberto.
wolfpack

Post by wolfpack »

Roberto, thanks for all the assistance on the side in getting this figured out.

It ended up being a combination of no instructions and my laptop not showing the USB COM port. I recommend adding something to suggest first upload will occur over COM and to open web wizard from the bottom right tasks verses google search/web address. It works much better when launched from the bottom right task bar. I thought first upload happened, but really it never uploaded my code. And the screen lock was whenever I plugged in ethernet, but that was fixed once I got my first code up there from the wizard. Now I'm off and running. Thanks!