RA* USB Power

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
Loose

RA* USB Power

Post by Loose »

Need a little electronic help. The micro USB header in my RA* came loose from the board so there no power. It's been a while since been on here and could someone point me to a schematic/pinout/advice so I can get it powered back up. My only concern right now is temperature, as I can't find my backup temperature power switch.
Loose

Re: RA* USB Power

Post by Loose »

The split micro USB connector
The split micro USB connector
RA Star micro USB.jpg (68.62 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
<heavy sigh>

Since I've been using the Cloud Wi-Fi hub, occasionally they get out of sync and I have to cycle the power on both units to get might lights to work properly. So I didn't have to unplug power from the RA* directly, I added a right angle micro USB adapter (pointing down) and an inline micro USB power switch. Yep, I thought this would reduce wear and tear on the RA*'s connector and I'd have a convenient way to cycle power.

Well, as it turned out, the was just enough wiggle when cycling power, that over the 3+ years I've been doing this, it actually split the RA*'s micro USB connector. Looks like I'm in the market for a new RA* as I'm not sure I have the micro soldering skills (or tool) to reattach power. <again... heavy sigh>. Any and all comments welcome to include 'Dude, you should have known what would happen every time that cord moved.' LOL!
rimai

Post by rimai »

Do you still have the usb power cable from the RA+?
Roberto.
Loose

Post by Loose »

I've never had an RA+. I started out with the RA*. I did purchase two RA controllers that I was planning on using for another tank. Are the power supplies the same?

I've only dabbled in USB but can I build a cable and power it though the USB A ports?

https://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6914
rimai

Post by rimai »

We use 5v. There is a cable on the webstore for that. It is called USB power cable.
It uses one of the temperature ports to power the head unit.
Roberto.
Loose

Post by Loose »

Ordered