AQLink with Jebao DCP works but some buslock issues

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
tngo

AQLink with Jebao DCP works but some buslock issues

Post by tngo »

I'm testing an AQLink A1 driver to control a Jebao DCP pump with a dimming expansion module. I can vary the speed of the pump by varying the analog voltage from the dimming module and mostly works as needed. However initially when connecting the AQLink to the dimming expansion the RA* would buslock. The buslock would occur when attaching the ground lead to the dimming expansion. I had to attach to the ground lead to an earth ground instead of the dimming module ground to prevent the buslock. Although this works for the AQLink it throws off my pH probe reading; somehow the pH probe is tied to the earth ground. Any way that a second dimming expansion would work with a 2nd wifi hub so that I can isolate the ground from AQLink and the head unit? The first one wifi hub I'm using worked wonders in making the RA* rock stable. It didn't have a reboot in 3 months.

[Update]
Buslock solved by moving the AQLink to cloud hub expansion. AQLink works well to control a Jebao DCP10000 that's connected to a skimmer. The power is reduced during feeding and water changes allowing the skimmer to remain on without any overflow issues.

Tim
Last edited by tngo on Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rimai

Re: AQLink with Jebao DCP works but some buslock issues

Post by rimai »

For the 6 channels, which dimming module version do you have?
Can you open and see which board rev it is written on the board?
Roberto.
tngo

Post by tngo »

Version 1.3
tngo

Post by tngo »

Roberto,

The AQLink creates a buslock even if it's the only unit connected to the dimming module and head unit. Would the AQLink be drawing too much power from the dimming module to cause the buslock? Would a second wifi hub fix the connection between a AQLink and RA?

Also found that the salinity probe and pH expansions don't work when connected to the wifi hub but are fine when connecting directly to the head unit.

On the existing wifi hub I have a bus expansion, 2 power relays and a dimming module. Head Unit has RF module, salinity probe and pH expansion. Introducing AQLink creates a buslock.

Thanks,
Tim
rimai

Post by rimai »

Do you have the 16ch dimming too?
Roberto.
tngo

Post by tngo »

No. Just using 2 of the regular 6 channel ones
rimai

Post by rimai »

I don't think a new cloud hub would work for you.
It would replicate exactly what the first dimming module would do.
The salinity and pH expansion should work fine with the cloud hub. You may need to calibrate it though.
What do you have connected to the RA* dimming channels and on the dimming module channels?
Roberto.
tngo

Post by tngo »

I'll have to try connecting the salinity probe and pH expansion again to the cloud hub to see if I can get some readings from the RA*. Tried a few time but only got 0.00 on the pH exp, and 6.00 on the salinity. Also when the RF expansion connects to the cloud hub the input value seems to go from integer to byte? Setting the speed of my vortechs at 80 when connected to the RA* but when connected to the cloud hub I need to set the speed to 170+ to get similar speed output.

I have 3x lunar lights connected to the RA* dimming channels. On the dimming module that I have connected to the cloud hub I am running I have 2xdaylight on ch0, 2xactinic on ch1, 2xdaylight on ch2, 2xactinic on ch3, kessil1 on ch4, and kessil2 on ch5. Trying to add a 2nd dimming module with the AQLink directly connected to the RA*.
rimai

Post by rimai »

How many channels for AQLink do you need?
Roberto.
tngo

Post by tngo »

I only need one channel for the AQLink to vary the speed. The second channel is for reverse spinning the pump and I can leave that unhooked if needed.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Can you move one of the Kessils to RA* and connect AQLink to dimming?
Roberto.
tngo

Post by tngo »

Yes, I can give that a try later tonight when I get home. The kessil uses 2 channels so if the AQLink works I may end up moving both channels to the RA*. Using 2 dimming expansions is okay on the RA*? One on a cloud hub and one directly connected to the RA*. I have all these USB cables tangled, going to have to label them lay them out neatly. :lol:
tngo

Post by tngo »

I switched the AQLink over to the dimming expansion on the cloud hub and the Kessils to the second dimming expansion attached to the RA*. No bus locks as of yet so it's looking very good!! The DC return pumps I'm guessing are the culprits to most of my buslock issues in the past.

Thanks again for your help Roberto.
Tim