Dosing Pump turned-on for no reason-Please Help!

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
tngo

Re: Dosing Pump turned-on for no reason-Please Help!

Post by tngo »

I think that the majority of aquarist prefer to dose by hand since a small error or equipment outage can destroy years of work put in a tank. Dosing pumps aren't the most accurate and need to be checked. So if you're only dosing a couple of chemicals once a day most would just do it all at once rather than having a dosing system to check every 3 months or so and the constant worry that the dosing pumps not turning off. The dedicated multi dosing units have emergency cutoff I would think, but they are so expensive. It's hard to make a all in one controller for a reasonable price so a big Thank You to Roberto and team!!! for bringing in the RA at a really nice price point. I guess if you could get 100-200 preorder of a failsafe relay for a reasonable price someone would set out to build it, but the demand probably isn't there; so we do the next best thing and mickey mouse something together. ;)

Tim
jcjrogersstar

Post by jcjrogersstar »

I disagree on the demand... most people, especially those that run controllers, do some sort of dosing (an ATO is a form of dosing). Also, manually dosing sodium bicarb or whatever one uses for alkalinity is risky business with high demand unless one is willing to dose multiple times per day. Look at the number of controllers, dosing pumps, dosing containers, ATO's, kalk stirrers, auto-water changers, etc. on the market. The only dosers this wouldn't help with are the programmable dosers. The only reason I would run programmable doser on a controller would be as a failsafe, and this would be a lot cheaper. Heck, anybody using their controller to fully-control their heaters could use the device if you could set it for long enough.
tngo

Post by tngo »

True there a lot of different dosers out there. A controllable dosing expansion relay with it's own fail safe would be pretty cool. You can count me in for one.
jcjrogersstar

Post by jcjrogersstar »

tngo wrote:True there a lot of different dosers out there. A controllable dosing expansion relay with it's own fail safe would be pretty cool. You can count me in for one.
Now all I have to do is talk someone into mass producing one... :D ... :cry: