power control expansion and dosing pumps

Expansion modules and attachments
binder

power control expansion and dosing pumps

Post by binder »

I've currently got 3 of the RA dosing pumps and have them running on my star. They are using their own relay box port for power. I'm wanting to add more dosing pumps but don't want to add another relay box (due to multiple reasons). I saw that the power control expansion module can be used to power dosing pumps. Since the RA dosing pumps use 12v, how would I need to go about rigging up the expansion module to control the pumps?
My guess is that I would need to either make my own cables to connect the module to the dosing pumps or buy the cables.
And I would control them via a "virtual relay box" port. Ie set the expansion module up to act as a relay box to control like I've seen mentioned on here.

Is this correct?
If so, what kind/type of barrel connector do the dosing pumps use? so I can purchase long cables to use or make my own.

Thanks!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
rimai

Re: power control expansion and dosing pumps

Post by rimai »

It depends on how long the pumps will stay on and how many at a single time.
If you do multiple doses of a few seconds spread through the day and stagger each pump, you will be fine.
The power module is going to act just like an expansion relay box.
You set it as the next ID from your last expansion relay box and add the code to control each port.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

ok. good to know. I don't currently run more than one pump at a time. I have my schedules set so there's no overlap.
I may run a pump for 30 seconds to a couple minutes and then off (just depends on volume to dose). so that should be ok, right?

binder

Post by binder »

so, would it just be smarter / safer / simpler to just use a second relay box instead of the power expansion?
its sounds like the power expansion has some noticeable limitations in regards to using our (RA) dosing pumps.

rimai

Post by rimai »

Correct. I would use the relay box.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Correct. I would use the relay box.
awesome. thanks!