macOS Catalina (10.15) and Arduino

Community contributed apps
binder

macOS Catalina (10.15) and Arduino

Post by binder »

This post only applies to those of us who are running the Arduino 1.8.6 app and NOT using the webwizard.

With Catalina, Apple drops all support for 32-bit applications. This does not appear to affect the Arduino on the surface but after digging around, the avr utilities that compile and upload to the controller are all 32-bit apps. So, when you try to compile and upload, you get an error

Code: Select all

bad CPU type in executable:
I've upgraded to Catalina and I encountered this error. Just wanted to forewarn those of you who still use the the app and are running on a Mac.

Now, with that being said, I thought about trying to compile Arduino 1.8.10 for RA again but I've had issues compiling in the past and have not been able to get it to work right. The other problem is when Arduino changes, we would have to keep up with everything.

So, I'm working on figuring out how to add our boards to the standard/default Arduino application (I think I have figured it out but need to test it). The downside of this approach is the loss of the Tools -> Reef Angel Libraries Version, Reef Angel Wizard, Restore Preloaded Code. This is not an issue though because of the webwizard. Those of us who will still use the app would be considered "advanced users" and don't really need those options. (If we did, we can just use the webwizard.)

The major problem is the auto-generation of the Features file when you compile the code. We will essentially be back to where we were initially with the app. This could be a problem for people and I'm not sure of a "good" way to handle it. I have an external option that I'm thinking about but nothing is concrete yet. Who knows, it could just be for me.

Anyways, just giving everyone in my situation a heads up and maybe it doesn't affect anyone but me.
lnevo

Re: macOS Catalina (10.15) and Arduino

Post by lnevo »

Interesting problem. I've been able to use mostly the web wizard lately, but also because all my contribs have been merged. I would definitely need to maintain compatibility if I were to do any Library changes in the future. You're talking about just managing the ReefAngelFeatures.h ? That could be done in a shell script pretty easily... not sure if that could be integrated, but it could be a quick easy step to at least get the job done. A kludge of course.