JEBO WP-40

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
topjimmy

Re: JEBO WP-40

Post by topjimmy »

Here is the same code but I replaced the if else with case select. It is too big however. Not sure why.

Maybe you all can pare it down some.

Code: Select all

////// Place your custom code below here

// Read memory for RF Wave Settings and use for Tunze/Jaebo
int mode=InternalMemory.RFMode_read();
int speed=InternalMemory.RFSpeed_read();
int duration=InternalMemory.RFDuration_read();

// Change this to what you want your min/max based on vortech speed
// This is for those functions that take both, but only one memory slot.
int minOffset=5;
int maxOffset=10;

int min=speed-minOffset;
int max=speed+maxOffset;

switch (mode) {
    case Constant:
      //constant
	ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( speed );
    	ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic( speed );
      break;
    case Lagoon:
      //lagoon
      	ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( SineMode(min,max,duration,true) );
        ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic( SineMode(min,max,duration,false) );
      break;
    case ReefCrest:
	//reefcrest
	ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( ReefCrestMode(speed,duration,true) );
        ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic( ReefCrestMode(speed,duration,false) );
	break;
    case ShortPulse:
	//short pulse
	ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( ShortPulseMode(min,max,duration,true) );
        ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic( ShortPulseMode(min,max,duration,false) );	
	break;
    case LongPulse:
	//long pulse
 	ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( LongPulseMode(min,max,duration,true) );
        ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic( LongPulseMode(min,max,duration,false) );
	break;
    case TidalSwell:
	//tidal swell
 	ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( TidalSwellMode(speed,true) );
        ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( TidalSwellMode(speed,false) );
	break;
    case NutrientTransport:
	//nutrient transport
	ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( NutrientTransportMode(min,max,duration,true) );
        ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic( NutrientTransportMode(min,max,duration,false) );
	break;
    default: 
      // if nothing else matches, do the default
      // default is optional
	ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( TideMode(speed,minOffset,maxOffset) );
        ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic( TideMode(speed,minOffset,maxOffset) );
  }
////// Place your custom code above here
Last edited by topjimmy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
lnevo

JEBO WP-40

Post by lnevo »

A case actually wont work for his scenario because he need to also test for feeding mode...i posted a fix for him elsewhere.

It would be helpful for others though if you posted just the relevant case :)
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

OK edited the original post. I just left the case statement in. I have not tried it so maybe double check the code. I was not sure how the mode variable was defined.
rrasco

Post by rrasco »

Roberto, I want to start off by commending you for your contributions to the advancement of the hobby, especially your willingness to share information. As you know, the reaches of your work extend beyond the RA community. I never really intended to buy a RA because I prefer to build my own controllers, but the support and helpfulness I have witnessed throughout this thread alone has inspired me to buy a RA not only to see what it has to offer as a package, but to support you in your continued efforts as well.

You mentioned you hooked the WP40 up to a scope, do you happen to have an image of the results? I'm interested in the frequency generated by the Jebao controller. If you could guide me to this information I'd be forever grateful.
-You had me at PWM
rimai

Post by rimai »

The signal is analog so there is no frequency.
Are you talking about the short pulse frequency for W1 mode?
Roberto.
rrasco

Post by rrasco »

This is what I mean. Here is a time domain simulation from an LPF signal providing a steady 4V. I am of the understanding that since we are supplying a PWM signal to the LPF, you still have a frequency. The LPF smooths out the PWM signal but you can clearly see a ripple exists after the LPF. Thoughts?
LPF-Circuit.png
LPF-Circuit.png (26.97 KiB) Viewed 6986 times
LPF-TimeDomainSimulation.png
LPF-TimeDomainSimulation.png (70.96 KiB) Viewed 6986 times
LPF-TimeDomainSimulationZoom.png
LPF-TimeDomainSimulationZoom.png (135.06 KiB) Viewed 6986 times
-You had me at PWM
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah.
The Jebao controller had horrible ripple :(
Too low capacitor for the small resistor they were using.
I think they were using 1K and 2.2uF.
I did not scope the frequency of the PWM signal from their controller because we really don't care what it is. Except to kill curiosity, like yours... lol
Even with the horrible ripple of the resulting analog signal, it doesn't matter to what we are using it for.
The pump is very high inductive in nature and transfer from the coil to the propeller is not instant. We have mass and several other factors to consider, which makes the ripple effect very negligible. The ripple can't go past the electromagnetic coupling, so who cares as long as it is low enough. I think that was their logic when they built their controller. The advantage of such low values of the lpf, you get very fast response on the resulting analog signal.
But, I don't think the electromagnetic coupling can respond to extremely fast response neither.
So, it really doesn't matter whether ripple is there or not and whether extremely fast response is there or not, the pump will always respond the same within a certain extent with whatever signal you apply, due to kinetic energy and electromagnetic transfer.
So, if your worry is ripple, I wouldn't worry much.
FWIW, my lpf is 10K and 10uF.
Roberto.
rrasco

Post by rrasco »

Thanks for the reply Roberto. My motor control guys agree. I ran your LPF values through a simulation and it looks good.

Am I correct that you found a compatible plug for the Jebao pump? Would you mind sharing a part number?
-You had me at PWM
rimai

Post by rimai »

I buy them in bulk from China.
The same ones sold for LED drivers. Tons of them available.
Roberto.
rrasco

Post by rrasco »

I'm sorry, but could you be more specific? Looking for an "LED Driver Connector" is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Like you said, there are tons of them available. It appears to be a water proof XLR connection, perhaps a bit smaller, but I am not having any luck locating one. I'd buy some from you if you have any available.
-You had me at PWM
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah, I can sell them to you.
PM for details.
Roberto.
rrasco

Post by rrasco »

Awesome. I don't think I can PM because of my post count, I already tried to PM you earlier.
-You had me at PWM
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You need 5... that last post was your fifth :)
rrasco

Post by rrasco »

I figured something similar would occur. Of course, I just found the plug too...just had to be smart about what I searched for. :D And what do ya know, it's like the ones they use for LEDs. LMAO.
-You had me at PWM
treetopflyn

JEBO WP-40

Post by treetopflyn »

If anyone is interested Ali Express has the pump for $76 shipped
treetopflyn

JEBO WP-40

Post by treetopflyn »

I haven't had a chance to hook mine up yet but I am curious how are you all controlling trough the portal?
lnevo

JEBO WP-40

Post by lnevo »

Theres some code posted a page or two back to piggyback the rf memory and then use the portal to control.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

saf1

Post by saf1 »

I haven't seen it yet, but is there more than one pump or is it only the WP-40?

Was looking for the possibility of using something for a 29 gallon that one could control. Although I'm guessing I would need to buy a PWM expansion since the initial relay box is used to control my LEDs.
lnevo

JEBO WP-40

Post by lnevo »

They are coming out with a smaller model. A 10 or 20 number..
saf1

Post by saf1 »

Thanks.

Will keep an eye on this thread and also the ~net. Would be nice to have something like that which allows some control. As of now I am using the Koralia circulation pumps with random timers on/off. It works, but I think this may be a better solution.
bhazard

Post by bhazard »

I'm surprised more people aren't making their own 12v battery backup units to use with these. The Tunze Safety connector works with this pump (as long as you use a universal power supply and use one of the interchangeable tips). Although not optimal, it does power my pump normally at 24v, cuts it over to 12v when power is cut, and runs through a 12v 18ah sealed lead acid battery.

The Tunze Safety connector is basically a relay and a 4A fuse selling for $50. If Roberto wanted to take a shot a creating one of those for cheaper too, I'd be down for one, just like the Jebao cables that I didn't need but bought anyway for my eventual switch to a Reef Angel. :)

If the connector could be made for even half price, you can basically build your own "Vortech Battery Backup" with the same components. for around 1/3rd the price of one.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

bhazard wrote:I'm surprised more people aren't making their own 12v battery backup units to use with these. The Tunze Safety connector works with this pump (as long as you use a universal power supply and use one of the interchangeable tips). Although not optimal, it does power my pump normally at 24v, cuts it over to 12v when power is cut, and runs through a 12v 18ah sealed lead acid battery.

The Tunze Safety connector is basically a relay and a 4A fuse selling for $50. If Roberto wanted to take a shot a creating one of those for cheaper too, I'd be down for one, just like the Jebao cables that I didn't need but bought anyway for my eventual switch to a Reef Angel. :)

If the connector could be made for even half price, you can basically build your own "Vortech Battery Backup" with the same components. for around 1/3rd the price of one.

I'd buy one :)
bhazard

Post by bhazard »

It's not optimal to run the pump at 12v, but for a power outage scenario I think it would work fine and not damage the pump too badly long term (unless you lose power all the time). I'd rather stress the pump a bit and help save my reef, instead of keeping the pump off and watching the reef die.

Luckily I only had a Biocube during Sandy. 3+ days with no generator in the winter will kill just about any tank.
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

Would using the wizard work to add this pump? I saw that if you choose write to mem , it shows the vortex settings.
bhazard

Post by bhazard »

For those of you who don't want to cut the Jebao cable if you feel like using it for both other controllers AND the Reef Angel, there is an easy way to do so.

Search ebay for "2pin Male to Female Arduino Jumper Cables". The male side fits perfectly into the Jebao cable connector. You can then modify the female side, or keep the female side and attach a male side onto the other controllers' 0-10v wire.

This way I can run my Apex now, and then once I feel comfortable with RA programming, I can swap keeping the cable intact.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I have a WP40 and am about to get a RA+.
I think I know the answer to this, but I want to confirm it.

The preset modes for the other pumps (like the Vortech and Tunze) can run fine with a single pump I would only need 2 if I wanted to run them in sync (even thought they can't really be synced because they are not wireless. or something like that.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, you can run just fine with 1 pump.
The sync has nothing to do with wireless or not.
The sync means if you have 2 or more, you can run the same as the 1st (sync) or opposite (anti-sync).
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Thanks Roberto;

I admit I don't have any experience with the Vortech or Tunze, but I though that they are synced thru the wireless connection.

Also do you think a WP40 and a WP25 can work together on these profiles?

I know the WP25 is not out yet so you can't answer that definitively, but an educated guess?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Tunzes work exactly the same as Jebao WP40 pumps.
RA is what instruct the pumps to work in sync or anti-sync mode when using Jebao pumps.
If WP25 is the same, you will be able to do the same too.
Roberto.