iOS Communicating with Arduino

d0lph1n

iOS Communicating with Arduino

Post by d0lph1n »

After watching this video, since I have an old iphone (and I'm not the only one), I was wondering how cool it would be to have an RA with a built in iphone/ipod dock, iOS app:

- touch screen capabilities
- kick-ass graphics
- programming built in
- email client built in
- wifi

and many more features (especially if you hack the iphone).
rimai

Re: iOS Communicating with Arduino

Post by rimai »

Do you have experience on iOS programming?
Roberto.
d0lph1n

Post by d0lph1n »

Nope it was just a suggestion that could bring RA to 21st century ;)

You could offer Android or iphone/ipod compatible RA kits. Bcz you are transferring a lot of features to smartphone, the RA might be cheaper to manufacture. Let the app stores develop software for your device. Just focus on the hardware.

Imagine having an RA as big as a smartphone external battery that hangs on tank's glass and it uses the phone's camera to broadcast live or to take photos every 1h or so.

Lose the RA button, the screen, bring all cables + smartphone's power into one cable. Or lose the screen and buttons and build the RA into relay box and have it connected to the smartphone via 1 cable (power + data) or wifi.

There are plenty of smartphone users that have old devices. Even the new ones are not that expensive anymore.
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

On my new tank, my RA will be completely hidden in the stand and I will be using my old iPhone mounted in a dock. It will connect using my RA iPhone app to display everything I need to see.

So in this case Roberto could make a displayless, buttonless RA unit but having to handle multiple models makes everything more complicated.
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
d0lph1n

Post by d0lph1n »

Something like that.

I was also thinking about:
- hacking the iphone
- installing a web server
- using the iphone camera to broadcast live video on demand and/or photo updates
- modding an iphone case so it sticks to glass or hangs on the side of the tank