Migration to RA*

Talk about you and your tank/equipment
Reefology

Migration to RA*

Post by Reefology »

I want to start by thanking Roberto for creating what I believe to be the best and most adaptable controller on the market. Also wanted to thank Lee, Curt, and Colin for helping me out as a newby to Arduino coding and answering all my stupid questions.

I'm an old school reefer who comes from a time when we had to drill our own tanks and make our own skimmers, sumps, lighting, stands...in order to excel in this hobby. For many years, I had a rats nest of wires with timers controlling my tanks. Moved on to stand alone pinpoint monitors, then to Reef Keeper and Finally to RA+ in 2014.

I knew at the time this wasn't a plug and play option, but there was a big enough community willing to help me in that regard. I would have to learn to code, but I was willing and eager to learn for what I believed would be, the last controller for me! The problem was, the documentation was lacking big time, the wifi attachment was crap (I'm sure most everyone would agree), and over the years Roberto and the boys just ran out of steam. So when something went wrong (which it inevitably did with the portal and Uapp) there was nobody to help out. When someone finally did, it sometimes could be days or weeks to get anything resolved. So I set up my RA+ as plug and play as possible. I was too afraid to change/add anything. When I built my diy calcium reactor (DaStaCo based with saturated Co2 injection), I used a smart bar to control it. I did the same with Ozone. For years, the RA+ ran flawlessly without a hitch steady as can be...how could I complain about that?!

When the RA* came out, I wanted to upgraded but thought I'd wait for detailed and clear documentation and better support. When I didn't see that, I just lost interest. Like Steve Jobs said "the best product is useless if you don't enhance and foster user experience".

A while back, I started to look into the Apex and Hydras as I wanted to consolidated everything into one controller but just wasn't ready. I happened to check the RA Uapp about a couple weeks ago to discover very little activity. I opened a thread in the Uapp section and got a response from brennyn21 who was extremely helpful. Before taking the time to get me back up and running, he told me that Roberto retired form RA and was going to walk away, so brennyn21 took over the business. As an RA* user himself, he was aware of all the shortcomings and was working on proper documentation and new and exciting developments such as DC expansion module 12vdc/24vdc with battery backup, Co2 module, Ozone module... He spent what seemed like hours and even remotely accessed my computer to make sure all the libraries and tools were up to date. Once done, I was able to control my relays via the Uapp again.

So, what else could I do...I upgraded to the RA*

In the coming posts, I'll share my migration and hopefully help others along the way. Maybe together, we can build this Community again to create a better user experience!
Reefology

Re: Migration to RA*

Post by Reefology »

I received a package containing RA*, Cloud WiFi attachment and the Relay Expansion several days ago. I set up the RA* as it was with the RA+ with the idea to add the relay expansion after I was confident all was working as it should. It was relatively easy to set up but I did have some problems which I will mention below. I believe all could have been avoided with proper documentation.

1. I didn't need the Cloud Wifi for the Star. Its only needed for the RA+ to avoid the wifi problems most people have/had with the old wifi attachment. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now but I did set it up on the RA+ and it was easy to do.

2. I had most of my problems because I tried to code with the same Webwizard account for both the RA+ and the RA*. Please don't do this...unless you like to bang your head against the wall! As advised by brennyn21, I created a new account for the RA+.

3. Use the Web Wizard to create new code. Don't use your older sketches in there entirety, I copied and pasted lines of code into the new sketches. There are several lines created by the new Webwizard pointing your RA to the Uapp and to authenticate (see below).

4. With the Cloud, you have to encrypt authenticate in a new sketch using the webwizard. I had to do this on a windows computer to fix this problem. I'm a Mac user, and though you can remote upload with the Star on a Mac later...you have to encrypt authenticate on a PC first, save that sketch, and onlyvthen pull it up on a Mac. This is due to there not being a useable plugin for the Mac yet. Brennyn21 is currently working on, hopefully it will be ready soon. I have made several changes on my Mac since without issue. FYI, so nice not having to plug and unplug cables to make changes, the remote upload is a great feature!
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to sync labels on the RA*? Temp probes and relays are numbered and it would be nice to see labels to easily identify.

2. On my old relay box, can I utilize the dimmer ports and the usb expansion? If yes, and they are not disabled, where do I access them?
brennyn21

Post by brennyn21 »

At the bottom of your code you'll see the port labels. You can change them and reupload your code to display on the Star.

As for the dimming ports on the star there is a an rj45 on the bottom of the controller which you can splice a standard ethernet cable or I have a break out board that will be listed in the webstore very soon that you can use instead.

As for the usb ports the Star has two for expansion ports, if you need more you can use the the expansion hub which allows for 8 more expansions. I pasted the manual below which outlines the ports.

https://reefangel.com/wp-content/upload ... v1.0.0.pdf

// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT27=Port 27
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT16=Port 16
// RA_LABEL LABEL_ACTINIC2=Actinic 2
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT26=Port 26
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT15=Port 15
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT24=Port 24
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT28=Port 28
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT23=Port 23
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT14=Port 14
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT13=Port 13
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT18=Port 18
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT22=Port 22
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT11=Port 11
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT25=Port 25
// RA_LABEL LABEL_DAYLIGHT2=Daylight 2
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT12=Port 12
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT17=Port 17
// RA_LABEL LABEL_DAYLIGHT=Daylight
// RA_LABEL LABEL_PORT21=Port 21
// RA_LABEL LABEL_ACTINIC=Actinic
Sincerely, Brennyn
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

Thank you Brennyn, the labels are now showing up on the star.

I tried to do the same with the temp probes, but it did work?
// RA_LABEL LABEL_T1=Display

The replay expansion with the old relay box has been running a few days with basic code for the calcium reactor and ozone generator. all seems stable so I'll take the smart bars off line and plug those devices into the RA*. I have been working on some more complicated code (for me) to purge my Co2 from my calcium reactor using a virtual port (i.e. Box3_Port1). But the code I generated using the Coding Assistant (very cool feature), seems to reboot the RA*. I'll keep trying, and if interested, you can follow up on my code thread here viewtopic.php?t=5123

BTW, are the dimming ports and usb expansion on the old relay box usable? or are they disabled?

Thanks
brennyn21

Post by brennyn21 »

To change the label you need to add //RA_LABEL LABEL_TEMP1=Display

The dimming ports and USB port on the old relay box are not useable with the Star
Sincerely, Brennyn
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

I just noticed my lights aren't getting brighter, they just sit at the minimum (10%) I have them set at in the Uapp Internal memory? and on the star and in the Uapp dimming screens, they show 0%?
brennyn21

Post by brennyn21 »

What channels are you using on the Star? Also when you adjust them with the slider in the uapp do they change at all?
Sincerely, Brennyn
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

Im using actinics 1 but I've tried them all. I can set override to change the intensity but won't dim.
brennyn21

Post by brennyn21 »

If you open up the Reef Angel Star you'll see 4 pairs of jumpers your lights may need to be changed to analog instead of PWM. Do you know what your old relay box was setup for?
Sincerely, Brennyn
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

I thought it was pwm but now I can't be sure. it been a long time and my memory isn't as good as it used to be! Can you please send me pics of those pins and the ribbon (since the touch screen is still glitchy)? I don't want to be poking around in the wrong places.
brennyn21

Post by brennyn21 »

Yes I'll attach some photos
Attachments
StarScreenRibbon.JPG
StarScreenRibbon.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 1717 times
StarJumpers.JPG
StarJumpers.JPG (2.73 MiB) Viewed 1717 times
Sincerely, Brennyn
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

thanks for the pics...how exactly do I change to analog?
brennyn21

Post by brennyn21 »

You will need some jumpers, you may have some on your old relay box depending on what version you have, if not I can send you some. You place the jumpers on the pins so as you can see on the photo i have 3 jumpers on ANALOG for Daylight, Actinic and Daylight2 so those ports are all Analog. If you had no jumpers on any of the pins then it is PWM by default.
Sincerely, Brennyn
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

thanks for getting back to me. I don't have jumper pins but can I use female breadboard cables to short them? would that work?
brennyn21

Post by brennyn21 »

If they fit those should work, but I will send some to you Monday as well
Sincerely, Brennyn
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

ok, I may just wait for them then. I updated the RA+ and will use that for now as the RA* still reboots spontaneously from time to time. I can trouble shoot without it controlling my equipment. My plan is to plug the communication cable into the RA+, as it was originally, and the new relay box into the expansion port on the old box. I'm guessing I would have to change the dip switches on the new box or would it still be box 1? Either way, not a problem.
Last edited by Reefology on Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brennyn21

Post by brennyn21 »

It would still be box 1 so you don't need to change anything. Can you go into the Uapp, open the menu on the top left and click on logs? Then under Alert logs check and see if you have any bus locks?
Sincerely, Brennyn
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

yes, but they were on the 7th and have since been deactivated.
brennyn21

Post by brennyn21 »

Does it still reboot when no other devices are connected?
Sincerely, Brennyn
Reefology

Post by Reefology »

I’ll switch over to the plus tomorrow and let you know.